1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flying with your DB Airlines

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BrandonA119, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Has anyone flown with their bass (domestic) using a hard case? If so what to the airlines charge?

Thanks
    Brandon

2. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Guessing one or two people here have done so at some point. It is generally ill advised and not worth the hassle unless absolutely necessary.

Call the airlines. Everyone has a different price for fragile oversized items. You could pay $100 extra each way, $300 each way, be totally denied at the check in counter, or sweet talk your way into no oversize charges at least one of the ways.

In other words, find a bass to borrow or rent wherever you are going if at all possible.

3. I've had damage to my EB on two occasions going to Germany via Heathrow. I'd never take my DB on a plane.Unless someone paid for its seat.

4. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Southwest will be your best bet, and try to go on a no plane change flight (bass is loaded and unloaded one time vs. changing planes). You will need a flight case and it is a $50 oversized baggage fee. Also allow extra time for TSA, they will open the case and go through it.

Check this ISB resource http://www.isbworldoffice.com/flying-with-your-bass.asp (SW information about 1/2 way down the page) and I would suggest you carry a copy of this with you. My son and I flew to NH with a Kolstein's case for him to audition a bass, no problem at the counter, paid the $50 and off we went. On the return the counter supervisor wanted to charge for an additional seat, full fair ticket. I showed them the info from the ISB site as well as information for the Southwest site, and spoke very nicely, until they agreed to the $50 oversize fee.

5. AA isn't too bad.[​IMG]