1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

FM Radio, and getting your band on it nationally

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by casper_morgan, Jul 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ok so... this question has been ringing through my mind for weeks now. I just don't understand the radio industry anymore. How does one go about getting national play on clear channel radio stations? Every once in a while I will hear a new band pop up and clear channel does everything it can to saturate that certain song or set of songs by that band until basically you end up hating that song. Example would be like Five Finger Death Punch, Halestorm, Arctic Monkeys, 21 Pilots ect, ect....these bands seemingly popped up out of thin air! but what I want to know is... how? How do you get national play on clear channel radio stations all of a sudden? Do you have to know someone? Is there an application? Do you have to pay for it? I'm not talking about your sunday night local show, I mean MARKET SATURATION. I just do not get it anymore. the reason that I am confused is that now, there could be a popular band say on youtube... has millions of hits, but you never hear them on an FM radio station... instead they play the same classic rock crap (ac/dc, GnR, zztop, ect..) over and over and over and over and over forever.... not that these are not good bands, that is not my point... it's just... I don't understand why these bands have been chosen and not the hundreds or thousands of other obviously popular songs, or even whole music genre's that are obviously hits online, yet clear channel doesn't take the time to make a station for that genre, or even play new, good music as it comes out. Instead they play the same songs over and over, and every once in a while a new band will pop up out of no where, get national play for a few years, then promptly disappear. I guess I just don't understand FM radio's business model here.

How do I get my band saturated onto FM or clear channel radio station all over the nation? It's obviously not online popularity that matters. So what???? Who do I have to give sexual favors to?!!?!? Is this a club we're just not a part of???

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i have no real idea, but do bands that aren't on labels play on clear channel?

3. No idea, but I do know that not all bands on big labels get played on clear channel either.

4. Here are a few,

Signed by a label who has influence with broadcasters.
    Band must have professional management.
    Material must be well written, produced and recorded.
    Material must have broad COMMERCIAL appeal.
    If the band has "the so called visual look" it helps too.

I am sure there are exceptions but I am talking in generality.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Is fm radio even where new music gets the most exposure nowadays? Or is it YouTube and various streaming services?

GregC, EMoneySC2, pbass2 and 3 others like this.
  6. I thought about that too... and the thing is... everyone has a car, and in every car is a radio. So it's as easy as switching that little thing on and bam, instant access but only to clear channel, and it's free. Anything else requires extra equipment, a monthly subscription, or cell data usage to use or listen to in a vehicle, none of which is as convenient as a radio. So this is why radio is still VERY important for exposure unfortunately.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Maybe it is for now, but not for long. And maybe starting on YouTube is a good gateway to success. Something takes off and millions see it and careers explode. If Bieber could do it, surely someone with talent could.

8. Right.. you COULD... but there are a million bands with millions of hits, never got played on a FM station. My question is.. what are the exact requirements to get saturated air time nationally for your music? I want to know what five finger death punch did to get that attention, to get that saturated clear channel play

9. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    When we were gigging there were two hot acts in town. Mine and another small act you not have heard of named Hootie and the Blowfish. We managed ourselves and were quite satisfied we had it going on. We were booked solid months on end and rubbed shoulders with the local radio station and had our songs played locally from time to time. On the other hand, Hootie got professional management and went on to worldwide fame and stardom. @Stewie26 is totally on the mark. Music is business. Musicians are not businesspeople generally speaking. If your aspirations are to reach the next level, you should look seriously into professional management.

10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my husband only listens to audiobooks when he drives, my son and daughter only listen to MP3s from their phones or players when they drive; my granddaughter only listens to her playlists. i'm the only one in the family who listens to the radio when i drive. i mostly find new music on youtube or rhapsody (although they just became napster, so i may move on).

i doubt the bands had anything to do with their getting played. their management or labels, who probably already knew someone, probably got that ball rolling.

11. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    The answer now, as it has always been, is money (or cocaine in another decade). I believe it was Frank Zappa who said, "There are no accidents in the record business"...or something to that effect.

ahc, hrodbert696 and Jim Nazium like this.
  12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It's a machine. If you want to be in heavy rotation, you have to be a promoted property of a big label that has agreements (money) with an ever shrinking number of radio conglomerates. In summary, sell your soul and maybe, just maybe after an album or two, you too may start to make money.

13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Yeah, what's up with the name change to raster? It's like, "I think I'll change my name to John Wayne Gasy." They say on the home page they are 100% legal. I have no idea why they did that. I'll keep my subscription because that's where I have all my play lists for the bands I'm in and It is something I can listen to at work.
    th?&id=OIP.Mcdc2f7a10427bd4918bf712cecc1dfd5o2&w=264&h=264&c=0&pid=1.jpg

14. See, im not even interested in making money, I just want to know how to get a heavy rotation nation wide. If I have to PAY to do it, then so be it.... I know my investment, if executed properly, will come back to me eventually.... it just begs the question.. who do I pay?! Who do I write the check out to?

Chico Ruger likes this.
  15. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    You don't. You're not part of the system and I doubt you could write a big enough check to become part of the system. YouTube is your friend.

Jim Nazium, ZonieBass, pcake and 2 others like this.
  16. Yeah I don't believe that, otherwise the above mentioned bands would never have gotten national play.

17. Though I can't comment on FFDP or Halestorm, I CAN explain 21P and Arctic Monkeys, whom got popular in two very different ways. 21 Pilots is signed to Fueled by Ramen, which I believe is a subcompany of Capital Records. Fueled by Ramen does a really good job with signing new acts and hyping them up as the new thing for my age demographic (millennials)- Paramore and Panic! at the Disco being two examples of FBR artists. As for the Arctic Monkeys, they somehow got the hype machine rolling themselves by being one of the only rock groups in Sheffield at the time (the scene there was all euro electropop in 2005). AM is signed to an indie label (I think they're called Domino records?) and just somehow got really lucky.

So tl;dr- the music industry is weird :smug:

Stewie26 likes this.
  18. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    I checked your profile and you're some variation of metal, I won't try to guess because that always ends with a stern correction of what the correct genre is. ;-) But, other than a few late night specailty shows that usually prefer local bands, "Noise in the Basement" is a local show on 98 Rock, I can't tell you the last time I've heard metal on the radio. I would try to make a list of stations that play metal or have special metal shows. Put together a truly professional presentation with a band press release and CD. Send those to the program directors at each station and maybe some will pick you up. It's a long shot for sure.

GregC and casper_morgan like this.
  19. Maybe where you live everyone has a car. I don't have a car, and neither do a TON of people that live in the city (or they own a car but rarely drive it).

Even if I did have a car, why the heck would I want to listen to the radio? To hear the same dozen garbage songs over and over again, with a quarter of the time devoted to commercials? No thanks. You know what cars also have? Aux inputs, CD players, and bluetooth connections.

GregC, MonetBass, davidprice and 7 others like this.
  20. Lepew

Lepew

Aug 23, 2013
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021