1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FM radio...(in your town)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MJ_Sotti, Jan 1, 2017.

1. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    How's the FM radio in your area, and what area?

Chicago? The pits.

WXRT, ponytail complaint rock until they try to sound "hip" and play Pearl Jam...but post gig 2AM overnights on Saturday is ok...

WLUP..."rock". 7 out of 10 chance if you turn to it at anytime, any day it will be playing...Panama, Jumpin' Jack Flash or Whole Lotta Love.

Q101? used to be "Alternative" when it was alternative back in the day...but now it's all B string growl "alternative" crapola...

97.1 "The Drive"...Moody Blues, The Doors...that stuff

all the rest is autotune pop crap

there is a traditional jazz station towards the left,

but really I think the best station is the high school station around here

MCF and nbsipics like this.
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Rochester NY..... sucks.

WBEE - Modern Country

WNVE - Alternative

WCMF and another station close on the dial - Classic Rock, same three songs all day long......... and the most horrid talk shows in the morning.

WPXY and KISS 106.7, Autotune crapola. The young kids at work listen to these channels and I swear it's the same song on a continuous loop all day long.

98.9 The Buzz - used to be the best station with 80's to 00's rock, then they fired the morning crew and switched gears to the "anything and everything" format... so one minute you can hear Judas Priest and the next minute it's Depeche Mode.

WLGZ - Legends 102.7 - oldies, which means they play anything from Sinatra to Journey.

WDKX - Hip Hop, R&B, Motown, etc.... and the only local channel that isn't run by Clear Channel or some other corporate conglomerate. This station does have the best FM morning talk show.

WHAM 1180 - Yes, there is still an AM channel. News and conservative talk radio. You can hear Hannity, Limbaugh and Savage here if that's your thing.

WHTK 1280 - Sports radio.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    47th Street likes this.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Have quite a few stations in Hampton Roads. I listen mostly to the Hampton U station. They play Gospel in the AM and Smooth Jazz during the evenings. Weekends they play Classic R&B along with a 60's/70's style live disk jockey. Very entertaining.

FilterFunk likes this.
  4. Quite a few FM stations where I am. (Pacific Northwest, B.C., Can.) But I'm turning more towards internet radio because the selection is so much better with specific genres.

Most of the radio stations here play all the stuff I never liked and do not currently like.

5. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I haven't listened to anything above 92 MHz in decades.

6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Eugene OR

88.1 KWVA, University of Oregon. Very youth oriented.

89.7 KLCC, Lane Community College. NPR during business hours, lots of eclectic music rest of the time.

91.1 KWAX, University of Oregon. 100% classical.

91.9 KRVM & HD1, Eugene School District 4J, public listener-supported. Hybrid AAA (adult album alternative) format during business hours. Fantastic blues shows every day. Rest of the time it's pretty much every genre of music you can think of except classical. They have 40+ volunteer show hosts. High school and middle school students do voice tracking during the day while learning how a radio station works. Radio done right. This is a truly great station that I support with my money.

Stream them at Welcome to KRVM.org Public Radio in Eugene, Oregon

91.9 KRVM-HD2. Very adventurous modern music for 15-35 age demographic. "If you're not old and afraid, you just might like us". They hope to start streaming in 2017.

The rest of the FM dial here is mostly terrible.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    47th Street and MattZilla like this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    CBC Radio 1 (91.5 in my area) when I'm not listening to satellite radio. CJHR or CHIP-FM when I'm up at the lake (rural country heavy stations and CHIP broadcasts NHL on Saturday nights during the season). The rest of urban FM around here is generally crap. I haven't listed to AM radio since the '70s.

Just bought one of these for the cottage - sounds great!

sangean_wr11-02-lg.

8. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I'm in your boat out here in Plainfield. That's why 3 out of 4 of my cars have XM Satellite radio.

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Unless you want to hear top 40 it's terrible in the greater NYC area.

Two rock stations and that's it. One is a small local station that can only be heard in the immediate area.

There are a couple in CT as well, but reception is spotty near me.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yup. Awful radio in NYC. Lots of top 40 and q104.3 is basically the only rock station. If you LOVE Bruce Springsteen then it's a great station. Otherwise not so much. Years ago krock played a lot of good and eclectic rock stuff but then it turned into another z100 and now there's nothing.

11. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Some NPR and some NFL coverage. Everything else I find unlistenable. The local college station, well, I can no longer relate to what they're playing.

12. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I've got maybe 4 stations on my car radio presets >

90.3 KEXP this is the best one, where the music truly matters. We're fortunate to have them locally and they are fantastic for the community. Check out their app for programming schedule & streaming ... all kinds of genres. Recommended.

95.7 bills itself as an oldies station, but half of their playlist is softer classic rock stuff.

99.9 KISW is repetitive hard rock/90s alt, but i do enjoy one or two of their 4 hour daily slots because of the comedic value of their DJs ... particularly the M-F 2-6pm program called 'the Men's Room' (they also have a line of decent beers, and do benefits for the local veterans.

102.5 KZOK is one of the better classic rock stations in terms of variety, but you have as much chance of hearing a commercial as you do music when you press this one.

PWV and DirtDog like this.
  13. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    Most radio, even in population centers, is garbage nowadays IMO. It's particularly bad in rural areas like where I am currently. Horribly corporate automata. Classic rock, Christian contemporary, country, western (both kinds), top 40, country, classic rock. Did I mention country and classic rock? No alternative station here. Not that alternative rock stations are significantly better. But at least they're not country or Christian contemporary.

I tend to stick with NPR, and only for news. For music my dial stays on WNKU 104.1, which is not technically local to me, but the station has several call numbers, so the reach is surprisingly far from Cincy for terrestrial radio. It's totally public, so NO COMMERCIALS.

WNKU 89.7

It's a weird and wonderful mix of alternative/rock (new and classic), americana, classic and neo-soul and R&B, and local artists from OH, KY, WV regions. Did I mention NO COMMERCIALS? They have great "radio shows" with actual DJs. It's like a flashback to pre-Clear Channel era radio, but with a great mix of new stuff. Plus, it's public. I haven't heard a public station that focuses only on rock/r&b music 24/7 in like, ever? It's a radio lover's dream.

I have recommended the stream to friends across the country, and they all became listeners. We gave during a recent fund drive, and I never do that.

47th Street likes this.
  14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

In the Hudson Valley we have 100.1 WDST and 98.1, both excellent stations worth checking out if you are interested in hearing new music that isn't part of the pop "mainstream" for the most part. My favorite is the Heavy Light Show on WDST Saturday nights @9 and the Tool Shed (everything from Yes to Tribe Called Quest) @7, same night and station. WKZE is totally independent and their shows and playlists refelect that, with everything from old school blues, to funk, leaning heavily on Alt Country during daytime hours. Their Up And Running morning show is the best, period.

47th Street likes this.
  15. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Love KEXP - got them on heavy YouTube rotation. That and NPR tiny desk.

16. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Kansas City has two great stations at the bottom of the dial:
    • 90.1 KKFI: A 100,000 watt independent, noncommercial community radio station. Programming has a heavy Blues slant but also features Americana, Jazz, Classical and local artists.
    • 90.9 KTBG (The Bridge): A PBS owned station that features both local and national acts with a strong leaning toward more independent and smaller label artists.
    Both of these stations sponsor their share of live shows throughout the city.

Other than those two we have NPR, of course, and the collection of Pop, Rock & Country stations that sound like every other Pop, Rock & Country station owned by the media corporations.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    47th Street likes this.
  17. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Mike, since you are from Chicago I have a story for you. Growing up in S.E. Missouri in the early to mid 70's the only FM stations in this area were country & KSHE in St Louis was out of range. If you wanted to rock out you waited for the sun to go down, tuned in WLS & hoped the atmospherics would cooperate. WLS was the best

47th Street and nbsipics like this.
  18. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Woeful - at least for this over-50 music fan.
    A couple of stations (Phantom, Nova) started out with good intentions, then the money-guys take over and suddenly all you can get are inane chattering idiots who think they're funny and interesting, and would rather talk to each other than play a damn tune.
    The concept of a DJ who is genuinely interested in good music and is allowed to play it is long gone, I fear.
    I mostly listen to cd's in my car, or YouTube at home (often guided by threads here towards good music I've not heard before.)

47th Street likes this.
  19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Local radio can be a reflection of ones hometown, I think. If you live in boring, your radio stations probably follow suit. I'm super fortunate to have what I think are two of the best independent music stations outside of major cities or college radio.

OldDog52 likes this.
  20. nbsipics

nbsipics Very Unorthodox Behavior Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    WBEZ in Chicago played the very best Jazz at night, a long time ago. Only listen to them at night now, and that's for BBC.

My buddy is a jazz dj for college of dupage ( WDCB? ) Listen on Sundays at 6.

WXRT was good in the old days. But the best was the FOX out of Elgin.

Yes, they had FM back then. Before that? WLS and WCFL were the only games in town ( Amplitude Modulation! )

47th Street likes this.