1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FMR Audio A.R.C. compression pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cloclo, May 2, 2010.

1. cloclo

cloclo

Dec 13, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
  2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Mark at FMR was pretty excited about it when I spoke with him a couple of months ago. From what I recall, the design is related to the PBC-6A. Definitely curious to read some user reports!

3. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    That looks pretty interesting. I can't read all the knobs in the photo but I assume the big one is the gain. I'm curious how it sounds.

4. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Inner-resting. Back in the 90s I had a pair of RNCs, but they were unusable for Bass; goof though they were for other things like guitar and such.

5. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Hmmm.... don't find my RNC unusable for bass. Apparently some users set the RNC's attack and release too short for properly tracking low frequency signals. Although this can easily be avoided by using more reasonable attack/release times, another option is to change a couple of capacitors in the VCA detection circuit to slow down the response; C6 and C8 can be doubled or tripled to make the unit more bass friendly. However, this comes with the downside of rendering the front panel markings inaccurate. I've also found that the sound opened up by replacing the OP275 with a pair of OPA211s.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'll certainly have to try this pedal, no doubt about it.

IME the "too short attack and release time" thing is a bit of hand-waving to cover the whole story. Yes, setting the attack and release times too short will result in distortion. But there are many other settings/applications that also result in distortion, regardless of attack/release time; and many of those settings are ones that it would be reasonable for a bassist to want to use. Peak limiting, for example: give the low B a strong pluck, and listen to the unpleasant noises the RNC makes.

The RNC is usable on bass, sure, but not to the extent that the range of its controls would lead you to believe. For moderate playing and light/moderate settings, it's perfectly fine. Most other "good-quality" rack comps don't have this handicap.

Anyway though, I haven't tried the PBC yet. It's a THAT VCA comp though, so its direct competition will be the Maxon CP9Pro+. Should be interesting. :)

7. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Hmmm... perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree about the RNC. Anyway, from what Mark McQuilken tells me the detection and compression envelope make a lot more difference than the VCA chip. From what I recall, by employing different curves, the THAT chips can be made to sound transparent, or colored like an optical compressor.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hmmm.... I think some of the communication may have gotten fudged somewhere along the way. :) Optical comps aren't inherently colored; and the VCA is what controls the detection and compression envelope.

9. Bass Mayhem

Bass Mayhem

Dec 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Old thread, but here we go...
    This one is the offspring of their PBC-6A, one of the best compressors I've used. Easy to use, sound is pristine. You can set it from "only hear when you shut it off" to serious squish. No coloration, clean tone. Can be used as boost and/or DI too. Easy to tweak: input and output volume and Drive for compression...