FMR audio RNC1773 Compressor

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bkchang79, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Is this compressor easy to use? Where would the compressor be in my chain? Do I need 2 compressors? I heard you need 2 compressors (one for the highs and one for the lows.) Is there a cheaper alternative to make it fit in a standard rack?
  2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    It's very easy to use. The manual (also available on FMR's website, iirc) explains different settings.

Where you put the compressor in your chain depends on how you're using it. I don't use mine live; just for recording. I usually just run the bass into the RNC into the board.

You don't really need two (high & low) compressors for most applications.

You can buy a rack shelf to mount the RNC - it has a hole drilled on its underside, so you can bolt it to the rack shelf. The RNC takes up 1/3 of the shelf (mine shares its space with two Alesis Nanoverbs).
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I use the RNC in my live rig. It's in the effects loop of my Kern preamp. If you're using a passive bass I'd be weary of going bass->RNC->preamp because the RNC isn't designed with a high enough input impedance to not load the pickups. In other words, it will suck some tone if a passive bass is plugged directly into it.

Funk Logic makes a rackmount kit for the RNC that IMO looks pretty cool and can fit 2 RNC's in one rack. I have a mercenary audio version of it. You can also use a standard rack tray and fit up to 3 RNC's in one rack space.
  4. Unless you bi-amp your rig, you only need one for live use. Even if you do bi-amp, putting the comp in an effects loop (or post preamp) will usually suffice.

All compressors become easy to use once you learn how each knob affects the sound. Play around some and you'll figure it out - the RNC is pretty easy to get around and learn.

See if you can have a metal shop cut you a piece that will fit in your rack. It shouldn't cost much...

Enjoy that RNC, I know I love mine.