FMR RNC compressor - noise problems?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BIg O, Sep 9, 2003.

1. I've had my FMR RNC compressor for about a year and it has worked flawlessly. Last night in rehearsal I started getting strange things happening with it. :eek:

At most levels, with compression set at 6:1 and input sensitivity at -10db, I got nothing happening. Occasionally I would get full sound, then severe breakup. As I increased the sensitivity, the LED's all gradually lit up with NO INPUT from my bass. At times there was an electronic ticking sound that you can get from having too much heavy compression with uneven attack and release - but again with no input signal! Even with the bypass switch on, no difference. :confused:

AFter trying bass input straight throught my SWR 350 (which was fine), I returned to the compressor chain and it seemed to be OK again.

Anyone have a clue as to what was going on? Is there something amiss with the compressor, or something else in the signal chain?

The chain goes like this:

F Bass Studio ->Raven MDB-1-> FMR RNC -> Tuner / effects pedals-> Alembic SF-1 -> SWR 350

Maybe too many gain devices in the input chain? Some transient voltage? Perhaps unbalanced inputs? I'm thinking of moving the compressor back to the effects chain, anyway.

Any ideas, boys and girls?