1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Foam Bridge Mute

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BAG, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. What do people prefer to use for foam mutes? I tried some rubber yoga mat that was laying around at home but it's too hard. Just wondering what others are using and why.

2. back4more

back4more

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    A piece of sponge has done the trick for me in the past. I used the kind of sponge you wash your car with.

3. Baltimore Bass

Baltimore Bass

Jul 14, 2016
    Baltimore
    I cut up an old foam beer koozie and rolled up one side of it. Works like a champ.

4. Foam rubber paint brushes do it for me. Take the stick out, fold one time and cut the ends that stick out.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    GKon likes this.
  5. There's two things I can try tonight. Thanks fella's.

back4more likes this.
  6. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I use that grey foam that you can sometimes find in packing boxes

chaak, GKon and BAG like this.
  7. I use a strip of felt cut at an angle on the ends. I fold it a few times the angled ends allow me to give the G and D strings less mute.

tshapiro and BAG like this.
  8. davenumber2

davenumber2

Aug 14, 2013
    I use a piece of weather stripping for door frames folded onto itself.

9. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    I bought a green foam mattress topper for our RV a couple years ago that was a bit too wide. I keep a chuck of that in my briefcase and sometimes jam that in front of the bridge. Works like a champ.

10. I have also used foam and rubber for mutes but the black felt looks and sounds better. The problem with the felt is that it about a minute to in place just right.
    I would prefer a mechanical mute but can't justify buying one right now. I might try building one someday but I only use a mute about 5% of the time.

11. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    What material did Fender use on their P Bass ?

12. I understand it was strips of foam rubber. They were gone before I became a bassists.

lowplaces likes this.
  13. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    That's what I use. Keep a couple pieces of different sizes in my briefcase.

14. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    This kind of stuff. I swiped some from a pedal or mic package.

packagingproduct-pu-polyurethane.

Pbassmanca and gjohnson441496 like this.
  15. I use weather stripping with the same material. It has adhesive on the bottom so I layer a couple and add a one more in the middle for the A and D string.

lowplaces likes this.
  16. Baltimore Bass

Baltimore Bass

Jul 14, 2016
    Baltimore
    I use a rectangular strip I cut from a beer koozie, rolled up. Works great, and is easily adjusted.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. upload_2017-9-7_22-41-59.

I know that the foam has taken a 'set' over the years - and I don't really mind as it's just to keep the strings from ringing.

What I have found for a neater mute is a Scrunchy on the neck, at the first fret.

Bobby Bass likes this.
  18. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I have a sacrificial mouse mat that worked just fine. I've also used hair scrunchies weaved lightly between the strings at the bridge when something more subtle was needed - tended to limit upper harmonics without killing too much sustain in the fundamental.