Foam for muting.

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by IamGroot, Mar 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    My Wal-Mart insulation foam aint cutting it for my beatle bass. Not enough damping. Any alternate recommendations?

superblues likes this.
  2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I saw Corey Nordstrand showing something on his Facebook page. Not sure if he's going to make it commercially available. I use some Armaflex insulation foam, but mine's on a P bass, so no floating top like your Beatle bass. Hope this helps.

IamGroot likes this.
  3. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    Just recently used (in my P bass bridge cover) "Rubber Foam Weatherstripping Tape" (peel and stick on one side) from Ace Hardware.

Badwater and saabfender like this.
  4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Wisebass, mobdirt and Kitsapbass like this.
  5. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Electronic gear packing foam, cut to size with differing thicknesses for more or less dampening.
    Check local custom A/V install firms who pre-rack gear and may have piles of the stuff laying around.

-2.jpeg

Kitsapbass likes this.
  6. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    I was doing this only this afternoon..I cut a couple of strips of Kipmat..the stuff you put in the ground under sleeping bag when camping etc...it's very dense and worked well for me ( needed to be 2 slices ie double thickness)

Wisebass likes this.
  7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    What I use...(Motown stuff only!!!)

th?id=OIP.D-EPxu8HOYCdkI6kPMkxFgHaFm&pid=15.jpg

thumps as thumps can thump!!!!!! (hard foam for pipe insulation)

Wise(b)ass

mcnach and el jeffe bass like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It must be a pre CBS sponge that was used to scrub Jamerson's body fluids from the floor where he passed out drunk. It can only be cut with the same scissors used in Fullerton to cut the tweed used on early Showman amps. Anything else is just wishing it was good enough.

(Ingnore me. I'm just picking on vintage bass cult member.... uh....*cough*..... uh.... fans.) :wacky:

lark_z, Joshua Vance, LarryG and 2 others like this.
  9. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    I just use a regular kitchen sponge, cut to size.
    Also there is this...which I haven't tried but the Scott's Bass video makes it look easy.
    The BassMute

Sponge.jpg

* And might I add, if you have a bass with the dreaded dead spots between the 3rd and 7th fret, G string, using a mute helps make it less noticeable. Obviously because now all your strings are slightly deadened.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  10. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Weatherstripping foam for me. Sticky!

11. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I was sorely tempted to take an acoustic bass guitar or beatle bass to the blue grass jam tonight with foam muting but I wimped out and took an upright instead.

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    pink furniture foam

13. mcontour

mcontour Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Happy Valley, Oregon
    I use some very very compliant foam under the strings and right up against the saddles. The foam is just enough to remove the "zing" from the strings without any effect on tuning.

As an aside, and I hope this cheap plug is not against the rules, I have two Bassmutes for sale in this thread:

For Sale - Bassmute from Ellio Martina Guitars

View attachment 3187461

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  14. smitty5498

smitty5498

Jan 28, 2016
    Thanks. I cut a piece put it on my G2220. Magic. Had to retune set Internation. Just what I was looking for.

15. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central New Jersey
    An old chalkboard eraser made from felt and a utility knife will do the trick.

Works amazing well.