Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Foam for thump?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I've read in threads that you "should" use foam rubber on your bass for a more thump sound, true? Didn't fender put foam under their covers for a while?

I have a Warmoth '51 P with no covers, if i want to use foam, where should i put it and how? I don't want to add covers to it, is there any other way?

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Cram the foam as close as you can to the saddles, underneath the strings.

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Can "thump" only come from flats or can a set of rounds or half rounds with foam rubber give me "thump" too?

4. flats will give you a deader, thumpier sound but rounds will benefit from a foam application as well.

I've tried it on my Yamaha and it works well...I can then do that Rocco Prestia thang.

5. You can use a sock too.

6. hehe...I've done that before..it DOES work. It's not very attractive having a smelly sock hanging from your bass, however.

7. Bob Babbit (Funk Brothers) mentioned that he puts a sponge under the pickup cover in the movie "Standing in the Shadows of Motown".

8. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I got some foam today at the local music store and it sounds sweet! But i don't have a cover to "hide it", should have my foam with pride or buy a cover for it?

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I say wear your foam with pride.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, don't drill holes if you don't have them already. besides, if you want to pull it out, you can't if it's attached to a bridge cover.

11. si_fi

si_fi

May 4, 2005
    London, England
    ..i was playing bass for an acoustic music session last night, and decided to make use of some foam rubber i saw lying around....the result: it sounded awesome; i got some funny looks from people who didn't understand why i had some foam on my bass, but the tone was beautiful and i got soo many compliments on the tone.....i will definately wear foam with pride in the future if the occasion calls for it.