1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FOAM MUTE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redhed, May 11, 2011.

1. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    Just wondering if anyone can recomend what to use as a string mute for my P-BASS

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Any reasonably dense foam, under the strings, at the bridge. Not much contact is required. Do a search for 'P bass foam mute" or similar terms and you'll find a lot of discussion.

3. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Why do you do this ?
    Muting a string , i dont understand why ?

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Foam! Foam! Foam!
    :)

5. There's always this.

6. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    sounds different

7. Jawbone

Jawbone

Jul 15, 2010
    Humboldt County
    why, old school tone of a P.

The foam that mechanical HVAC companies use is perfect. Go to a mechanical engineering or repair company and ask them for a sample of their sealer/duct foam or go to a commercial construction site and ask the GC. Perfect density. You really don't need to by this stuff for 5-10 dollars.

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I do the foam under the strings at the bridge thing all the time to get an "upright" imitation out of my AC50 acoustic.

All you need is a wedge of foam under strings near the bridge. But you'll find that you'll need different degrees of damping going from the higher to the lower strings. Lower strings take more. So the solution is to make the foam in a wedge shape so by pulling or pushing it under the strings you can adjust the amount of damping on one end or the other. Foam is easily available so it's no big deal to experiment with shapes and sizes.

9. As someone who has spent a good deal of time on commercial construction sites, this is not a course of action that I would suggest.

You can try HVAC supply houses, or sheetmetal fabricators, but you could just as easily find something suitable at Lowe's or Home Depot.

10. 2400

Sep 4, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Scrunchies serve a similar purpose but for a different reason. To be precise: they only mute open strings (EDIT: unless you slide them around).

11. Those foam pieces can be found in some packing materials when you buy electronics. I keep those so I can use them as mutes, just slide a long piece beneath the strings near the bridge when I want to use it.

12. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    I've gotten good results from using the foam from an old mouse pad. A couple months ago I went to my local craft store and picked up some foam, which has been working wonderfully for me. Any craft store, such as Michaels, should carry foam.

13. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I use The Mufler. They work great, but are a bit on the expensive side.

14. Thanks for showing this. A helluva alot better deal than the bassmute for $100+.

15. For me it worked out quite nicely...

When i bought my '62 P pup... i just cut up and used the foam in the box the pup was in... works like a charm ;)

16. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    weather stripping works fine.

17. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    I use the heel of my hand when using a pick. It gives me
    a lot of control and flexibility in muting.

I can mute through the verses and play wide open through the choruses, then back to muting etc.

Fender muting foam is the same as the black weatherstripping foam you can buy at Home Depot. It has peel & stick adhesive on one side, is about 1/2 wide and maybe 3/8" thick. Works perfectly and isn't expensive -

You may want to experiment with different type foams to get the exact sound you're after, though. You may need extra width on the lower strings (make a wedge shape mute)

I still prefer the heel of my hand for flexibility. But if you play a lot of funk and always want a slightly deader thump most of the time, foam is the way to go + finger picking.

:hyper::bassist:

18. gordon sims

gordon sims

Nov 23, 2010
  19. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I use a hot pink dish sponge. It looks dead sexy against my blueburst G&L. :)