Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

foam or springs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CQBASS, Mar 14, 2005.

1. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Dropping some barts into my jazz bass. Would you recomend springs or foam under the pups? advantages/disadvantages of either? Thanks.

2. I always go with springs, but i think thats just habit, i dont think there is any difference ??

[may be wrong]

3. d.bond

d.bond

Feb 11, 2005
    Kewanee, IL
    when i dropped barts into my jazz, i just used the existing foam. it doesn't seem like there would be any apparent differences, probably wrong though.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I always use foam, but I don't think it really matters.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Foam can be easier to work with. It can stick to the bottom of the pickup, whereas springs usually end up falling off and sticking to the magents a lot.

6. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I prefer springs. Seems I can get better pickup height with springs. I've also been known to use surgical latex tubing 1/4" in diameter cut to about 1/2" to 3/4" long - works great, but I still like springs better.

7. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    IMHO, springs are more permanent. Foam can rot and rubber tubing can harden. (Bill Lawrence claims to have found some surgical tubing that's much better than the usual stuff; call his shop for details.)

Having said all this, I'll probably use weatherstripping foam the next time I need pickup springs...

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Chuck, that's what I always do. You are right. Springs are a more permanent solution, but you know me. I'm a lazy bastard. :D

9. I would say you need to be more precise when choosing a correct springs for the pups. When you have the springs that are too less compression you will get the eco sounding from the bass body but with the foam, it even damping those sound away. Foam also need to be correct density and thickness and will settle-in after few years but it will be more easy to handel but also with a shorter life.