1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Foam under pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by damos, Jul 23, 2012.

1. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hello
    it is important to have a very good piece of foam under the pickups to an old jazz bass ?
    And where find good foam ?

Thanks

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    The foam is there to help you adjust the pickup height. It acts like a spring - loosen the screws and it pushes the pickup up.

I always use an old mouse pad under the neck pickup. One or two layers is enough to hold the pickup real solid so it doesn't rock while you're playing (assuming you're using it for a thumbrest). Since I don't use the bridge pickup that way any pice of foam will do.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Mouse pads are great!

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    Mouse pads are indeed great. I am a pen spring fan (i use them on the screws)

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    As others have noted, mouse pad is good. You want foam made from actual rubber, not polyurethane foam. The poly foam will self-destruct in a couple years leaving the pickup loose and crumbly stuff under it.

Traditional is rubber weather stripping foam. I've also used polyethylene packing foam but it doesn't spring back as well as the rubber stuff. But doesn't self-destruct.

You can use springs around the pickup screws too but they will actually vibrate and be picked up by the pickups unless you damp them with foam.

Just go with mouse pads.

7. webelo

webelo

Jun 7, 2011
    Douglas, MA
    +1 I've used mousepads under the pups in both my custom pickup installation. I think it's what TV Jones recommends too.

8. That only works if your covers are epoxied on. Otherwise the pickups fall out of the covers.

9. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I guess I suffer from OCD. I use foam, and I get springs from the local hardware store

10. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    I guess Peavey Basses suffer from OCD too.