1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Foam under the bridge - P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sevenyearsdown, Apr 29, 2010.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Do any of you guys use foam as a muting material on your p-basses? If so, can you post some pics, opinions, and any sound clips if you have them?

2. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I use a foam mute when I think the situation calls for it.
    It works surprisingly well for recording and doesn't really sound all that dead with a little compression.
    It seems to really make for a strong note within the mix.

I've also noticed that I can turn up a lot louder without people noticing. I can be at a volume that I think is somewhat excessive and the band will say that I sound good.

I attached a song I did with my band using a mute. It was actually a pieces of the sound dampening material that the producer ripped off of the wall.
    -Jaguar Bass
    -LaBella 760FM Flats
    -Nordstrand NJ4's
    -Neck pickup only
    -All electronics (except passive pickup switches) were bypassed

Attached Files:

3. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The quality of that is pretty low but you can hear the low end alright.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    When needed for the track.

I use automotive weatherstripping. Works great, is cheap, and stays in place till you decide you want to move it.

5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I'm usually bare live but for recording I use a strip of foam rubber about 1" wide at the saddles that just touches the bottom of the strings. It barely dampens the sustain but is enough to cancel out any ringing overtones and keeps the notes nice and clean.

Some players like to pack it up until it's almost a thud.

It's all about your preference and style.

6. cloclo

cloclo

Dec 13, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
  7. racket

racket

Jul 26, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    FMIC Employee
    I also use foam at the saddles. I play blues mostly so I never remove it. I think I'm using some velvet covered foam packaging material that came with something I bought. I had just enough for my new Am Dlx P bass prototype.

8. cloclo

cloclo

Dec 13, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium

of course, 2 seconds after i typed that i found a cable

so here goes:

* different parts, each played with no mute, then semi-mute, then full-mute
    * passive precision (and D'Addario half rounds) with a way too long jack-jack to my old Digidesign Mbox to Wavelab. no compression no nothing. so some transients might pop out too hard.
    * i had a small but, as it seems, nasty cut in the nail of my right index finger in january so my new nail is STILL only halfway there so i play with my middle and ring finger in the meantime otherwise it hurts like hell. i guess i have 6 more months to go like this :help:. in other words give me some slack on the finger-parts.

bassmute example

i end with a little loop you might recognize (bassmute in the 'semi'-setting)

some muted parts will sound better with some moderate oldskool compression

i just played a bit of everything so you decide wether you like it in that style or not

have fun
    oh, so this is about the bassmute, see my previous post

cheerio!

9. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Bob Babbitt in "Standing in the Shadows of Motown".

babbit.

10. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Thanks everyone. I made one out some weather stripping I had laying around the house. Did the job.

11. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I use a velco strap, with velcro on the body of the bass, and I can remove it in half a second when not needed, put it on in half a second too. works well.