Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Focus Amp.... Is it real!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Hey TB'er

I have been looking for a small amp for practise, rehearsal and small room jazz gigs and singer/songwriter - Rock/Pop gigs.

I have been looking a Iamp from EA, The Focus amp from Acoustic image and the Epifani new amp. I live in Denmark and you can only get those amps outside DK. So I have never tried them. I will run the amp with Epifani - 2x10UL and 1x12UL cabs.
    The Focus amp should be a great gig amp. It's small (fits in the gig bag) and it has lots of power. It sounds to good to be true. Is there backside of the amp?
    I like to run my EBS amp flat and when I play my Fodera I can that I need from the bass. When I play my Fender I use the amp to get my tone.
    I have to buy the Focus amp to try it. So it will be expensive if I don't like it.
    What I mean is - will the Focus be a great amp It just sounds to good to be true :meh:

Thanks

Christian

2. Hi
    I've only tried its small brother Clarus, but I also use it for passive electric and there is nothing I could complain about. Play blues jazz and rock and the tone is very warm and focused.
    I also run everything flat and as long as your bass sounds good of its own, it will sound good through Focus.
    If you do not need much tone shaping, I thinh you will be satisfied.
    Anyway, good luck.
    Ogar

3. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I own a Focus and have been using it exclusively for electric bass. I'm quite happy with it. The tone shaping is adequate for my needs. When I use my passive P bass, I use something like a Sadowsky outboard preamp with it, but I do that regardless of which amp I am using.

4. I've been using a Focus 1R now for the past 2 1/2 months on ~ 20 mid size gigs and numerous rehearsals and it performs bautifully; couldn't be happier

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Simply out: YES!

You need to try one.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - this is the thing - it looks like a good bet for Jazz and small-scale stuff - but it is very expensive from what I've seen.

So, OK - nothing else will give you that much power (theoretically) in such a small package - no doubt!

BUT - do you really need that much power for small Jazz gigs?

So - I've been to loads of these gigs and the bassists are getting away with 150 - 300 watts with no problems about being heard.

So the thing is, you could buy an amp in this area, for much less than a Focus .

Overwater in the UK are quoting about £1200 for a Focus - a lot of money!! :eek:

So there are many high quality amps, that are much cheaper - e.g. Eden, EA etc .

You could possibly get an Iamp used in the UK , for less than half that price - so do you really need a Focus? :meh: