Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Focus concert!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Nov 2, 2002.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    The old band from holland played their first latinamerican show here in Chile, and they released their new album here too.
    I didn't know the band, but a friend of mine (that likes old stuff), came "like crying" saying to me: "man, you can't miss this concert". So i went.
    It was kind of cool (and weird)stuff, not the kind of music i like to listen, but it was cool, there were some really emotive songs, but there where others that were just crazy...... specially one that was called "hocus pocus" where everyone started screaming with the lyrics.....:confused:

A fun concert thought :D

[​IMG]
    This guy plays Flute, Hammond Organ and he also sings (lots of talent here).

The best thing ....there was a bass solo :D

2. It just shows that you dont need slipknot to have a good concert!! (i hate slipknot by the way)

what sort of music are they ??? (genre)

3. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    (i do really really hate slipknot also, i'm more into fusion)

Download some songs: I think the most popular ones were Eruption and Focus 3. Hocus pocus was the weird one.

I think this band started in the 70s.

4. ok thanks

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I remember seeing these guys on the tube in the '70s(on the In Concert series...a show that used to air @11:30pm-1:00am on Friday nights).

They did blow me away...Jan Ackerman(guitarist) was ripping it up; he's released a few albums in a Fusion vein(they must be 'cause Audiophile Imports carries his stuff. AI is all about Fusion).

Focus' music, to me, would be under the '70s Hard Rock umbrella. IIRC, they had a little more "Chops" than some of the usual Hard Rock outfits.
    I think Focus had two different bassists on the 1st two records.

Thijs("Tice") Van Leer(flute/keyboard dude) also yodels! ;)

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I saw Focus on "Don Kirshners Rock Concert" on the tube ages ago!
    They got some decent rotation on local FM with "Hocus Pocus".
    I remember the guitar player having a good time with that tune. They were original, no doubt.

Yeah it was COOL!

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Yes......they are coming to Venezuela in two weeks........ never heard them before but an old friend told me that I shouldn´t miss that show

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Oh, man! Focus is still around?

I gotta see these guys.