Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Focus SA and Clarus

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Phil Smith, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    If I combine a Focus SA power amp and a Clarus amp, what would be the resulting power of the two combined? 400 at 8ohm, 800 at 4ohms?

2. I could be wrong here... but there's no way to 'combine' them. You can take a line feed out of the Clarus into the SA and add an additional cab, but you can't combine the power sections into one cab. I might be misunderstanding what you are trying to do though.

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I'd like to know the answer to that too, Phil.

Absolutely it can be done -- they're designed to work together. Just feed the satellite amp from the "send" out or the direct out.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    No way to use these two amps to feed a single speaker. You would have to use each amp for its own speaker.

5. The way you are describing the use is correct... but this has nothing to do with 'combining' the amps... you still need two separate cabinets... you will just be driving the power section of the SA with the line out of the Clarus. The power section of each amp still would have to go to a separate cab.

If you really want more power, it's probably best to sell the Clarus and buy a Focus (or one of the new Series III that's coming out). That would give you triple the wattage of the Clarus into a 4ohm load.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    This is what I suspected. The info that I heard on it wasn't all that clear. Thanks guys.

7. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  8. Not sure the point you are making here. Yes, the SA is meant to be used as a power amp.. either with a pre or a line out from another amp (clarus or otherwise). However, regarding the original purpose of the thread, this does NOT mean that you can somehow feed the power section of an amp (like the Clarus) into the input of another power amp (like the SA).

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Right, exactly how do you do that? :D

10. Run your Clarus like you always do through the cab you typically use. Bring along another cab and connect the SA to that. Take an instrument (not speaker) cable and run it from the line out of the Clarus to the input of the SA.

As you can see, this solution requires two cabs, two head (the Clarus and the SA). Doesn't make much sense to me. I think most guys who use that SA use it as the main power section with a separate preamp. That's a nice solution if you want a very small light power amp but don't particularly like the sound of the AI preamp.

If you really need more watts and really like the sound of your Clarus... the solution to me would be to sell the Clarus and apply the money toward a Focus. They are really dealing on the AI amps now, since they are preparing for a model switchover in September. I paid significantly under $1,000 for my Focus I.

Hope that helps.

Ken

11. PS Assuming the Clarus can run safely without a load (i.e., not connected to a speaker), the other way to do this would be to NOT connect the Clarus to a speaker and take the line out from the Clarus into the SA. Then connect the SA to your cab. Then, you would be using the preamp of the Clarus to drive the higher power section from the SA. That being said, it still makes more sense to sell the Clarus and buy the Focus, since you would have to still carry both heads to the gig.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    If you really need more watts and really like the sound of your Clarus... the solution to me would be to sell the Clarus and apply the money toward a Focus. They are really dealing on the AI amps now, since they are preparing for a model switchover in September. I paid significantly under $1,000 for my Focus I.

Hope that helps.

Ken[/QUOTE]

Ken, I was going to buy a Focus until I read your post. What kind of model is coming out in September?

13. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    We aren't sure what's coming out yet. It is supposed to offer more power than before. Other than that, there's a sketch on the AI website... check it out.

14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Personally, I could use the additional power today which is why I ordered a Focus at the new discounted prices. I have a Clarus and it's been more than enough for 95% of the gigs that I do and that's for DB and EBG, but with the Focus, I'll have all that I'll ever need...Until the 1,200 watt version comes out. :D