1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Focus Series sa II vs. Clarus 1 Series III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Badmuthaplucka, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    So I've been successfully using the original Clarus with a Music Man 2x10 and more recently a Schroder 1210 cab . I almost always have PA support and th Music Man/Clarus has been more than enough for rehersals.

But at this point I would like to upgrade to either a Focus Series sa II or Clarus 1 Series III. More than likely I will be using Music Man 2x10 and Schroder 1210 cab for a total of 2.6 Ohms. My curent Clarus handles this impeadance just fine. I'm leaning twards the Clarus 1 Series III but I'm wondering if the Focus Series sa II can handle 2.6 Ohms. Also for Clarus 1 Series III, would the extra 200 watt upgrade make a diffrence?

Opinions?:bag:

2. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi ... I have a AI SA Series II,

This is taken from the AI website:
    "Is my Series II Focus capable of driving 2-ohm speaker loads?
    While it isn’t rated at 2 ohms, it will handle the load in most cases, as long as the volume isn’t cranked to extreme levels. Give it a try. If the amp isn’t up to the task, an internal protection device will shut things down momentarily… however you won’t do any harm."

Hope this helps somewhat
    - Tom

3. Badmuthaplucka

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.

Thanks!

But would say 12 noon on the Focus is "extrem"? What's the setting you usually use?

4. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I hover depending on where I am usually in the 9-11 (at most) range... the unit really is amazing though so portable and pumping out that great, clear tone.
    - Tom

5. Badmuthaplucka

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.

I know what you mean. I love AI amps especally combined with my MXR M80. I've played every thing from hard rock to latin on my Clarus and I have always sounded great.

6. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I just picked up an epifani t210 I havent had a chance to use it out yet but I cant wait ... I was actually thinking about trading my SA but ultimately I could not seem to let it go...
    I am using a Sansamp DI. And would love a new preamp which is on my short list right now. but with the Sans amp my rig is so small its ridiculous.

7. Badmuthaplucka

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    Very nice!

Here's a pic on my clarus rig:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230342&highlight=clarus

8. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY

Hey your rig looks great! we kinda/sorta have something similar going on ... how are you liking the MXR? With my BDDI I find myself constantly fiddling trying to get what I want out of it. But again I have not tried it with the Epi yet.

- Tom

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    sweet little setup. :cool:

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Why not a Focus I Series III... totally safe at 2 ohms, tons of power (the power upgrade to the new Focus would definitely make a difference, and you would only be carrying one small box. Considering that you could sell your current Clarus, the cost might even be less.

11. The Focus can handle a load of 2 ohm fine. I'm going to use the 2.6 ohm load for bigger happenings when the Schroeder 1212 light comes in next month.
    I'm using my Avatar SB112 Neo at 8 ohm for small rehearsals. The Schroeder 1212 light at 4 ohm will be for loud rehearsals (with a drummer) and small performances and both cabs at 2.6 ohm when I need some headroom.

Bought the Sansamp RBI last week and this is giving me a lot of extra's: Punch, harmonics and all sorts of nasty sounds.
    Didn't try the Sansamp yet with my upright and my giant Ashbory.....