1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Focusrite Bass Pre-amp custom-made for Bootsy Collins - great features

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by squarewave, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    SOLD / TRADED

Here is something you don't see every day. In fact, it is one-of-a-kind.

It was custom made for Boosty Collins. The guys at Focusrite recall that the specs were that of a limited-edition model called the Platinum Bass that was sold only in Japan, with the cosmetics of a single-space platinum preamp like that sold here in the US, and special attention to detail/tweaking since it was going to Bootsy. They couldn't recall much more than that. They say it is easily servicable, by the way.

It's a very nice preamp. It came from one of the guys at Bootzilla Productions via a connection at the Sam Ash Store in Cincinatti, OH. The guy at the store claims it was used to record the recent Bootsy Christmas CD, but I have no evidence other than his word on that. I don't recall Bootsy endorsing Focusrite, so maybe he didn't like it (?). I like it.

It has on-board compression, gate, overdrive, high-pass and low-pass filters, EQ, insert, balanced and unbalanced in and out (selectible for +4/-10), sidechain trigger for the compressor, and 2-band parametric EQ. Obviously, it is a very full-featured preamp. Single rack space.

It also works great for microphones and acoustic instruments with transducers. It has phantom power.

Check out my feedback. Let me know if you have questions. I'm asking $400 shipped to start on this preamp. I'm not really sure how much to ask, since it is unique. I'll lower the price in a week if no one has snatched it up before then. Make an offer if you want to. PayPal accepted. Check or postal M.O. is OK too.

Thanks for looking. I'll go to my music room now and take some photos.

2. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Do you have a Pic? This is totally solid state?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Covet! Want!

Is the high pass filter adjustable, and if so what's the range of the control? If non-adjustable, what's the set frequency? What are the controls for the compressor? Would you be willing to PM me with any thoughts on what isn't suiting you about the tone or functions?

I can't say "I'll take it!" just yet, but color me strongly interested. :bassist:

4. gnergaard

gnergaard Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Chicago, IL USA
    lots of questions. PMed

5. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    IMG_0487.

IMG_0486.

IMG_0485.

6. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Yes

I knew you would like this Bongo.

Please see the photos above. HPF is adjustable from 4K7 to 24K.

Check out the photos. Yes, all can by bypassed. No footswitch.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    PM sent. Also, looks like the left ear might have taken a big hit? Know anything about that?

Side note- the filter marked "high" is actually the LPF, and vice versa. ;)

8. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Yes, the left ear has been bent (and bent back).

Yes, it is. I forgot about that. It's strange that Focusrite would do it that way.

PM answered.

9. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    . IMG_0582.

10. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    SOLD/ TRADED

Thread Status: