1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Focusrite Scarlet and Ableton monitor mix question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pfschim, Jul 30, 2012.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    So, I am not new to recording with Ableton, but I am new to multi channel interfaces and monitor mixes in particular.

I have:

HP i7 laptop (Win 7 64, 8gb RAM, 500gb 7200 HD)
    Ableton Live 8 full (8.3.3)
    Focusrite Scarlet 18i6 (USB 2.0 interface)
    Focusrite Scarlet Mix Control software
    iZotope iDrum vst

all this gear works just fine when I work solo with my 1in/1out NI Guitar Rig mobile interface. Its usually just me on bass and the iDrum vst and I monitor with headphones (Sennheiser HD280 pro's).

I want to start recording my trio using the (new to me) Focusrite 18i6. Everything seems to work fine. I get the various inputs set up and get good levels for all the intruments on the mix software and the DAW. all good.

Set Up: We are using digital drums (iZotope iDrums as a VST in a MIDI track in Ableton) as our drummer until we can get a real drummer to come in and lay down drum tracks against our instrumental tracks. We like a basic drum track vs a click/metronome because it is just a bit more organic to work with vs just a straight click (and iDrum has some very nice drum sounds in it).

Question: So all inputs are working, but we need just the drum track to hit the monitor so we can hear it while we record. What is happening is that we are all coming out of the monitors. How do I route just the drum track to the monitor outs ?

appreciate any help you can offer

2. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Each track (in session view) has an output selector in the same area as the input selector. If you're using the master as your monitor source, just set all the track outputs (except drums) to None.

Alternatively, you can use an additional output to feed your monitor. Create a Return track and set the output to the additional out, then adjust the track sends as you like.

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    cool, thanks. I will give those suggestions a try.

appreciate the help