Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Feb 24, 2003.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do you think the Focusrite Platinum Tone Factory would work/sound as a bass preamp?
  2. IMO, the current Focusrite line is EXTREMELY overrated. The sound, at least to my ears, is no better than a typical channel strip on a Mackie mixer. It should work as a bass preamp, but I wouldn't expect any sonic advantage over a 'traditional' bass preamp.
  3. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    by "current focusrite line", what do you mean specifically? the platinum line? the tonefactory is now discontinued. there is now the:

voicemaster pro

all are in the platinum line, all are class A, and all have been getting excellent reviews.

bootsy collins uses the platinum line, according to focusrite. he goes so far as to call it, 'da bomb'!

high praise indeed!

since i was thinking about picking up a voicemaster pro and using it as a bass preamp, i'd be interested in hearing some more opinions...
  4. I'm talking everything but the top-of-the-line Red Range. I used to sell Focusrite and ALL the Platinum series products had BAD broblems with relaibility. I have seen the reviews, too, but compared with other mic pre's, Focusrite's stuff didn't sound special. I HAVE heard the Red Range and it lives up to the hype, but it's also extremely expensive.

The Platinum series sounded midrangey and the compressor is NOT bass friendly. It's one the few compressors I've heard that kills the low end. They're also noisy.

And as for Bootsy, as much as I enjoy his playing, he tends to have flowery words for ANY product that pays him an endorsement.
  5. Older Focusrite is DA BOMB....some of the higher end, Producer Pack for example is still DA BOMB (Rupert Neve did most of the classic designs)for certain things like drums and vocals but if you REALLY want to spend that kind of money for a high end all in one box DEFINITELY get an Avalon VT-737 (check this link for specs

I promise you, it does not get any bettter than this!!! Around $1700-$1800 out the door at most any GC and includes Preamp, EQ (the BEST) OPTO Compressor and DI all in one (AND if you do any studio work it is one of the better MIC preamps in the world to boot)

check it out!
  6. arfur

Nov 26, 2001
    London, UK
    I've been using a tone factory as a pre-amp for the last couple of years and I'm very happy with it. I originally got it on a bang per buck basis. Proper bass preamps don't come cheap in the UK and I was able to get this for 220 GPB as opposed to 300 for a Peavey Max.
    Thing is I now come to depend on the range of features it has. I don't think I could survive without it. The Compressor is bass friendly but its no simple one knob compressor. You're going to have to think in terms of thresholds and ratios. I come from the other side (PA) so this was easier for me.
    If you plug it in and set everything flat you may not like the sound as this will contain none of the preshaping that a dedicated bass preamp will give you, but with tone controls and a parametric eq I quickly learned the settings that make my bass sound the way I like. I now find it very easy to adjust my sound to the room.
    The only down side is this preamp will not add much in the way of growl to your sound. There is an overdrive but it's probably best left untouched.

As for reliability its been in my rack bag for all that time with no cooling spaces around it (no room). I've never had any problems with it and I'm sure I couldn't get away with that on a valve preamp.
  7. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I've recorded with the red series pre. It is as good as any quality preamp I've tried, nothing magic about it. The bass sound the producer got with it was not to my liking. I would personally prefer a bass-specific preamp.