Fodera AJ6 , is it worthwhile ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j.s.basuki, Mar 3, 2003.

1. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    Someone offered me this bass for less than US$ 3,000. in excellent condition with ANVIL hardcase.
    Although I do not play 6 strings, and 36" scale , I found the offer is too good to pass.
    I have e-mailed Fodera several times but they didnot send any reply, perhaps they're too 'BUSY' or else. My intention is too ask who is the original owner and check if this is a stolen bass [quite common nowadays].
    SERIAL No JC 6690. Pic attached :
  2. Did the offer originate from within Indonesia, by any chance?
  3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well if the bass has your sound and the feel is right for you and you don't mind the money sure why not? That being said there are many things to consider about this, first being that is kind of low for that bass. You know...if something is too good to be true...Peter seems to know that something might be up with that bass.

Second at this price I'd still check out other makers before you bought it. I've never played a Fodera 6 but there are plenty other sixer's that play wonderful and sound great...I'd probably be more prone to finding something I know won't be a risk.
  4. I thought you owned a Monarch 6.

Anyway, what do you know about the buyer? I would be skeptical, but I wouldn't outright dismiss it. How did you come to get the offer?

5. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    Yes ,the offer came from Indonesia Via Internet advertisement, anybody knows the previous owner of this bass ?

The seller will show the bass to me tomorrow, but in case I buy it I want to make sure it is the right stuff not astolen one or Credit card fraud.
  6. Make very sure to get the serial number and do a Web search on it to see if someone put up a "my bass was stolen" page, check with eBay, check with Fodera, etc.

An AJ6 is gonna cost $5000 used no matter where you are, so odds are the seller has no idea what he's selling--which means there's a better-than-normal chance that he got it through credit card fraud. (US$5000 is what, a year's income for most middle-class Indonesians? I know the rupiah's depreciated pretty horribly.)
  7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    FWIW...I'm no Fodera expert, and it looks like the "real deal" and if so the price is certainly right...but something doesn't seem quite right. Namely, I've never seen a Fodera, let alone an AJ model, that has what looks like stock Bartolinis with no wood pickup covers. It's not the Pope preamp configuration either. I'm not saying you couldn't have one built this way, I've just never seen one.

Fodera has ackowledged in the past (website posting I believe) that there are some conterfiets floating around. And out of Indonesia? I'd beware.
  8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    shoot brian barret at the low end an email about indonesian transactions!
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I wouldn't do that deal for love nor money! Way too much fishiness with Indonesian sellers these days. Caveat emptor.:spit:
  10. kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    j.s.basuki : are you indonesian ?

Last time I emailed Fodera with a serial number : they answered me pretty quickly.
  11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the bass is fine. maybe a mid 80's to early 90's bass. they didnt start using the dual j buckers until the mid 90's i think. the pope came later as well. id say its worth around 3500 on the open market and a dealer would probably try and sell it for 4.
  12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    there email answering is hit or miss. i stopped taking the chance on it when i have a question now and just call. however, if youre out of the u.s. like j.s. i could see why calling might not be an option.
  13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Whoops I meant a fretted Fodera 6...sorry about the confusion. :)
  14. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    Yes, I am Indonesian, I live both in in Jakarta and perth Australia. I smell something fishy in the offer, that is why I need info from you guys, since I get no reply from Fodera.
    Fodera and other high end basses are too far to reach by most Indonesian musicians.
    I can afford them because , music is just my hobby and I have my own business and

Last time I managed to rescue Brian Barret's Warwick from Credit Card fraud, and 2 high end basses from famous company also from fraud card.
    If this Fodera is a stolen one too, and some one need my help ? This guy who sells it is within my reach.

Any body can ask Fodera on my behalf ?