1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fodera Anthony Jackson Contrabass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pete Cruger, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Pete Cruger

Pete Cruger

Jan 25, 2016
    Wanchese, NC
    Hey guys,
    I'm pretty new to the forum so this will be my first real post aside from the new members post.
    I have a 1991 Anthony Jackson Signature Series Contrabass that I bought new at Rudy's Music in NYC 25 years ago. Just curios if any other TB members have or have ever had one. Its been about 15 years since I've played seriously since devoting my life to full time offshore charter fishing. Last year I started my own inshore business which is a lot less demanding time wise and one of my main goals is to get back in to playing again.
    I have no interest in selling it but with everything I've read about Fodera and how most of their Basses have appreciated in value over the years I cant help but be curios about the current value. Also very interested in others experience with this type of Bass including set up, strings, amplification etc...
    Phil at Fodera has given me some great info and has been very helpful but if anyone here has any input that would be great. I'm definitely looking for a new Amp system that will compliment the awesome tone this bass has but frankly am out of touch with what choices are out there now.
    Thanks, Pete bass.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Gorgeous bass!

Pete Cruger likes this.
  3. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Thumbs up for my favorite version of the Fodera/AJ bass.

Pete Cruger likes this.
  4. Pete Cruger

Pete Cruger

Jan 25, 2016
    Wanchese, NC
    Thanks Bob, surprised you can see the pic. For some reason it doesn't show up when I look at the post. Tried to make it my Avatar and that shows up blank for me too. Still need to figure out this site. She is a beauty...

5. Pete Cruger

Pete Cruger

Jan 25, 2016
    Wanchese, NC
    Thanks Joshua, drove from Richmond Va to 48th st Manhattan to buy it in 1991. It was love at first sight.

6. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Fodera's Jason DeSalvo (sp?) is a member here, and seems to always be quite helpful in terms of more info about their basses. As for appraisals directly from TB, the rules state you have to be a supporting member. Just sayin'. :)

twinjet likes this.
  7. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Quoted for truth. Gorgeous bass, though.

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  8. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    I can appreciate that: I saw one of these at a Denver music store in the late 90's, and despite it's wide neck, it was one of the most comfortable playing 6's I'd ever played. Fantastic instrument.

9. Pete Cruger

Pete Cruger

Jan 25, 2016
    Wanchese, NC
    Gotcha, still a newbie here and guess I need to familiarize myself with the rules. Not really looking for an appraisal just curios about a ballpark number. A good friend told me I would probably be surprised at how much Foderas appreciate in value over the years. He's a member here too and is the one who told me about this site. Definitely not selling this bass ever!

10. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    The only thing with this bass is that it is far too complicated if you haven't played in a while. However, I'll help. We can trade for a while, I have a very nice Hondo bass that is perfect for getting back into playing, and when you're ready we'll trade back. I imagine it would take a good 20 years or so to get back to where you were, but it's ok, I can loan out the Hondo for that long if I really need to.

Whaddaya mean no? ;-)

Seriously though,Nice bass, and welcome back to playing!

Pete Cruger likes this.
  11. Pete Cruger

Pete Cruger

Jan 25, 2016
    Wanchese, NC
    I don't care who you are, that's funny!

12. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Ha! Glad it made you laugh, that was the intention!

Anthony Jackson is absolutely my favorite bassist. I've met him once, he was extremely nice. Hoping to meet him again sometime through some people I work with who have done a ton of work with him over the years. He definitely had a vision when he started designing those basses. You're right that it doesn't matter how much it's worth, you don't ever want to sell that bass.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Pete Cruger likes this.
  13. Pete Cruger

Pete Cruger

Jan 25, 2016
    Wanchese, NC
    Yup, too much sentimental value for me, not to mention the incredible tonal range and playability. AJ definitely knew what he was doing.

14. ryanowens

ryanowens Commercial User

Feb 1, 2004
    Houston
    Trickfish Amplificaton
    I can't see the pic.... but would love to :)

15. ryanowens

ryanowens Commercial User

Feb 1, 2004
    Houston
    Trickfish Amplificaton
    Also, I would look into the new TrickFish amps. The preamp section was designed by the great Mike Pope who of course designed the current Fodera Custom preamps. The Trickfish head with the small 1x12 trickfish cab is a great setup!

16. Pete Cruger

Pete Cruger

Jan 25, 2016
    Wanchese, NC
    Thanks Ryan I will look into those. Not sure whats up with the pic, its not showing up for me now either and neither is my profile pic which is the same pic. ??? Maybe check back tomorrow same thing happened right after I put it up too.

17. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    i have a few fodera aj6 basses. in terms of sound/strings/etc. a lot of it comes down to what you want to sound like.

nice bass.

Pete Cruger likes this.
  18. Pete Cruger

Pete Cruger

Jan 25, 2016
    Wanchese, NC
    Yeah you are right. Just a little out of touch with what's out there since I really haven't played seriously in the last 14 years. Starting to get reaquainted though thanks to this site and some good friends.
    One of the big differences I've found so far is the size and weight differences in amps and speakers these days. Blows my mind how much power and punch comes in small packages now. Technology has come a long way. I was always in to the SWR type sound but seems like now there are a lot more options that can achieve that type of sound and more at a fraction of the weight.
    Phil at Fodera is sending me a few things I need for the bass and after I get it set up by a friend who is great at set ups I just need to start plugging into some of the newer stuff to see what I like.
    Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful stuff.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've had my 1992 for quite a while now...

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi87.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fk150%2Fbrad5161%2FCIMG0291.

p1030265-.

All original, Lane Poor pickups, HAZLabs preamp. Just installed R Cocco strings.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Pete Cruger likes this.
  20. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I looked up "first-world problems" in the dictionary; they had a picture of you, Steuart!
    :)

Pete Cruger likes this.