SOLD Fodera Anthony Jackson Six-String Contrabass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Emperor Elite, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite Gold Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2004
    New Jersey
    \
    Sorry for reposting this, but I accidentally closed out the earlier thread.

I'm reluctantly selling my 1994 Fodera Anthony Jackson Contrabass. Fantastic quilted maple top, ash back, quilted cherry heel-block, and macassar ebony fretboard. The electronics have recently been updated by Fodera to Duncan Dual Coils in macassar ebony covers, with a three-way coil tap. It is the best playing AJ6 that I've ever encountered. It has an absolutely terrific, lightening fast 34" scale neck. The bass has a massive low end, throaty mids, and bright, clear highs. Moreover, the soloing voice is amazing - the bass sings in the high register.

In the spirit of total disclosure, the bass has some very slight discoloration on the back, it looks like surface buckle rash, but it isn't. The discoloration is underneath the finish, like Fodera used somekind of wood putty on the cherry heel-block it before he finished it. Other than the discoloration, the bass is scratch free: it looks almost new and it plays and sounds AMAZING. The bass comes with the original Fodera case.

My asking price is $4,500. I'm not really looking for any trades at the moment other than a pre-1972 Rickenbacker 4001.

Please email or PM me if you have any questions. I can be reached at [email protected]

Ben

2. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    good lord, why now?:scowl:
    this won't take long.....
    someone is gonna be really happy....
    wish it could be me...

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was just thinking about this bass........just can't do the string spacing. This is a steal folks!!!!

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I need a drooling emoticon.

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    [​IMG]

6. Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    New Jersey
    \
    The string spacing is the same as on all Foderas: 3/4" at the bridge. The spacing at the nut is 2 1/4" so the bass is incredibly comfortable to play. It looks intimidating, because AJ6s are big basses, but it is actually one of the fastest playing instruments that I've ever played. The spacing is identical to that of a Jazz bass, if the Jazz bass had six strings.

The upper register on this bass is a real delight, because the voice there is unreal: clear and musical, but still retaining the punch to cut through a thick mix. There are passages that I can play on this bass with ease, that are a real struggle on my other basses. The upper register voice makes the bass incredible for soloing and chording. The voice in the lower register is massive: deep and authoritative with a crystal clear high-end. Most people don't think of sixes as groove-oriented basses, but this one definitely can hold it down. If you've been looking for an incredible six string Fodera, this one is it. I auditioned eight of them prior to buying this bass. It is the best of the lot.

I wouldn't be selling it if my carpal tunnel syndrome weren't so bad. It comes and goes. Right now, the CTS is here and it is nasty. I've been playing my Jazz bass and my Sadowsky almost exclusively these days. The Fodera sits in its case. That is a crying shame. It is a fantastic bass: someone should be playing it.

Ben

7. Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    New Jersey
    \
    Sold! Thanks Jay.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.