Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Sorry if I got you excited. I don't have one.

I was wondering about these basses. How do they play? They look incredible, and are they pricy?

If I purchase it, it'll be my 2nd, or 3rd bass. I want to get Geddy first :) How much would it cost for a 6-string version? I'm in Canada. Does anyone have a 6-string version they could post a pic of and tell me about?

Thanks!
    Mark

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Do a search for Fodera 6 string and you'll likely pull something up.

3. Never actually played one, or even seen one in person, but a nice used fodera will run you anywhere between 2,000 and 5,000 bucks. NO idea what they are priced brand new.

4. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx

Your thinking about going from Squire to Fodera?? A new Fodera 6 with all standard features is going to run you $6,000 and about a, 8 to 24 month wait.....

5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i have one. they play great, they sound great. they look great.

that said, other basses can be just as (or even more) satisfying for a lot less money. so, if you want a fodera, get a fodera. but if you want a fantastic bass, consider the other options (nordstrand, mtd, sadowsky, curbow, benavente, etc.)

6. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma

new it would be about double that price... maybe triple. my advice, wait a couple of years and see if you still want to play bass. it would be worth it to save the money and get something like a nordstrand which would be a lot cheaper, but of the same if not better quality. carey works wonders...

on a side note...
    there was a kid at my school whose parents bought him a i believe 5 string emperor and when he brought it to school he played blink 182 covers on it, and even with a fodera they sounded horrible. i almost started crying when he would do guitar flips.

7. Apples and oranges to the Geddy I'd think. The one I heard was very modern and clean sounding, nice bass, but not it any way my cup of tea, I like Fenders and Warwicks.

8. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Say WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! Then again, I knew rich kids in my high school who drove in Benzes and Lexus. And it's not like a better car made them any better drivers than us plebians.

I compare the whole thing to cars. I say the mid range for a car is $15,000- $25,000. For that price you can get a really great set of wheels that's reliable and serves your purposes well. I compare this to basses costing $1000- $2000. It's like your daily driver car.

In the $25,000+ price range on cars, that's when you slowly start getting into those more luxury models with more bells and whistles, and more prestige in the name. You probably don't need all the fancy stuff, but it's fun to show off. I compare this to the more expensive basses with something like a Fodera or Ritter being akin to getting a Porsche or something. It's a car that's amazing to drive, but NOT
    something you'd want as a daily driver.

And there is the lower price point. The cheapest may be like a Hyundai Excel. It's basic transportation, but it's a tin can and while some were made decently, most were garbage. So it can be a crapshoot. Beaters we call 'em.

So assess your needs before plunking more than $2000 on a bass.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    And while you're at it, assess a Carvin ;)

Although, if you truly do want to spend multiple thousands, a Nordstrand would be my #1 pick.