Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blake Bass, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Are Fodera basses really that much better than say a Roscoe, Ken Smith, Modulus, Pedulla, etc. Why do they cost two to three times as much?

Would like any input from those familiar with these basses. www.bassalone.com has two really beautiful Emperor 5's on thier site. I'm considering buying one of them.

Blake

2. You will get a lot of different answers here. Fodera's are wonderful basses. Part of their additional cost is the time and extremely high quality and rare woods that goes into them... but a large part of the cost is simple 'supply and demand' due to their brand name being very well known and their basses being played by some totally amazing players (Anthony Jackson, Lincoln Goines, Richard Bona, Victor Wooten, etc).

They are great and have a unique sound. That being said, I find Stambaugh, Roscoe, etc. to be every bit as high quality and just as good... but different. If you play a Fodera and love the sound, the feel of their necks, etc.... get out the checkbook! However, make sure you play the Stambaugh, Roscoe, Sadowsky, etc., etc. You may (as I did) find you like a different sound and feel that costs much less.

3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    It's all in what you like. I personally don't think they are but some people do. They are nice and the craftsmanship is excellent, but thenagain so are a lot of pro luthiers work. Ultimately value is what you think it's worth.

Dan

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Some people will say yes, some people will say no. I say no, id much rather own a Roscoe or MTD.

BUT, some people love foderas. Yes the quality is amazing, but they dont do it for me. I wouldnt pay that much just to have another 3 piece maple neck (or w/e itd be). The options dont outweigh the cost for me.

5. I've never had the opportunity to play one, but from everything I've read they make top-notch instruments. Whether they're worth 2 to 3 times a Roscoe (or any other bass) is up to each buyer considering one. No one can really tell you that.

6. Thanks everyone for your input. I already own a great Roscoe and a Pedulla. I guess I'll,just have to play a Fodera to decide if it is really woth the $$$.

Blake

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    as mentioned, it's subjective to some extent. i have played a few foderas and, as expected, they were very nice in every aspect- as they should be. however, they just don't appeal to me. in fact, most boutique basses don't particularly appeal to me. i like regular (more "traditional") paint schemes, good fretwork, tone and overall build quality- all of which foderas have in great quantity but i'm attracted to the more utilitarian, functional designs of other builders. multiple layers of exotic and diseased body and top woods does not scream refinement to me, just taste and selection. however, if the overall package is worth $7000 to someone, go for it. the only way to know is to try one.

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    When I was at Bass Central back in November, I played a few basses, one of them being a Fodera 5-string ying-yang. Wow, that bass absolutely ruled! (for lack of better words). I've never played a more comfortable bass, and the sound was fantastic from what I could tell in the shop there.

I almost died when I found out the price. I've been GASin' for one ever since, but I know that is just too much bass for my wallet to handle.

I currently own a Roscoe and an MTD, and I will definitely say, from what I saw, the craftsman ship is relatively close on all of them. Though, I would have to give the edge to the Fodera. Just getting that yingyang top like that is an art form in and of itself! I'm not knocking the MTD or Roscoe, don't get me wrong....

I'm so impressed with my current Roscoe LG-3005 (which is for sale) that I am ordering a custom Roscoe. It is a little easier to stomach than the Fodera price, and my playing isn't at a level where I could say the Fodera is even 1% better than the Roscoe (playbility-wise). Tone-wise, it's really up to your ears and technique.

9. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    If you have the bread and you want it, then it's worth it.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Real simple. Take a ride, walk in the store, play them. If they make the hairs on you arm stand up, you've found your bass. All it takes after that is cash or a credit card.

Rob

11. Everything from NYC is more expensive...

12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Rob is correct. You can usually tell if it's "the one".

The other major bit of advice I would suggest before spending any major amount of money on a high-end bass is that you first make sure you are clear on what you are really looking for and second find a dealer who knows the product inside and out.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I agree with Joel. Then again, I wouldnt have reservations getting another Fodera. They are awesome. I dont own one now but you never know. They are a small outfit, the shop is close to me, and they take care of their customers

Rob

14. Great advice from everyone, Thanks..It really is a lot of money to spend and I would certainly be hesitant to buy one over the net. I would have to play it alot before I could part over $5000

Blake

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Foderas are very nice, and have excellent fit & finish. They are not my cup of tea.

I would rather have a Roscoe and a Nordstrand for the price of one Fodera.

16. they are really nice looking, i have never played one. i for one am more inclinded to ritters.

lowsound

17. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    atleast you guys have access to foders.

mind you; even if they were available here they would be WAAAAAAAYYYYY out of my price range.

but if i won the lottery or a rich uncle died; i would probably get an alembic instead. just something about the shapes and woods they use.

18. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've played a number of Foderas over the last 5 years. They are top notch basses, but so are MTD, Roscoe, Zon, Elrick, F Bass, Waal. Those are the ones I've played. I can't comment on Benevente, Nordstom, Staumbaugh and some others.

I've always been amazed that someone would consider buying a multithousand dollar instrument based on how it looks on the internet, their favorite player or other peoples' reviews. I'd never consider buying a Nordstrom eventhough I think they are one of the nicest looking basses out there. I've never played one.

I've said it many times: Plane tickets are so cheap now that a trip to your favorite bass store like Bass Central in Orlando, Bass Emporium, Bass NW which I think is in Seattle and others should be considered a great investment if you are going to spend $2,500- 6,000 on a bass. Just call before you buy the tickets and ask how many of those basses they have, how many they normally have (they may actually sell them before you go there). A plane ticket costs about $150- 400 depending where you are flying in and out of. That's nothing compared to the thousand or two you will loose if you buy a bass that you don't like and are eventually going to sell. I'd consider it a good investment.

My $0.02