1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fodera bolt-on 4 "standard series"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dabass, Oct 24, 2006.

1. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Any opinions on the Fodera BO's? Specifically, the standard series, Monarch and Emperor 4 strings........

2. opinions?

The bass I want the most right now is the Monarch 4 Deluxe... I think it's a nice bass.

As for experience, I have none

3. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I have a 93' Emperor with a set (dove tail cut) neck and a friend of mine has one of their first Emperor bolt ons, same wood make-up on both basses, the bolt on has more punch and definition.

4. I wasn't much of a fan of the bolt-ons compared to the neckthroughs that I've put my hands on. The neck profile feels different to me, a little chunkier. The tone and all was still there though. If you like the neck feel, they're great instruments.

5. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi . .IMHO i t all depends upon where you're coming from and what your needs are. Coming from the Fender world a Fodera standard model is indeed a new standard. I'd never seen workmanship like it before nor played a neck so true or an action so low and rattle-free. Coming from the $10K luxury direction it might seem cheap and nasty (doubt that tho').
    I rarely use the pre-amp preferring passive so the missing knobs aren't any great loss to me. I'm used to bolt-on's with Fenders and my trusty old SR4 so that didn't affect me either.
    I was advised the standard is a lot of money for what you get compared to the options available on customised models.
    My needs aren't that precise so again it didn't affect me much.
    The neck is the big factor for me and seeing I haven't played a better neck I don't know the difference. Ignorance is bliss?
    As far as I'm concerned my standard has the same neck, woods and pickups as the custom basses so I'm very happy with it.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021