1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fodera bridges: Can the string spacing be adjusted/changed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim T., Oct 25, 2003.

1. I 'm looking at the bridge right now...I can't see any threaded wheels, etc. or any other sign of a way to change/adjust string spacing. Am I missing something or is the spacing "set in concrete" with Fodera Bridges?

I'd like to know over the weekend if possible. I can call my usual bass dealer to ask but that would have to wait until Monday at least...I'd like to reduce my spacing from 20mm to 18mm if there's a way.

Thanks in advance! Jim

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you should email fodera, they are really nice guys there, and will give you all the info you need.

Edit: I just looked at my bridge again, and yes it looks like you can do it...it's a little weird though.

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yes it can be done..if you have a bridge that does it anyway. There should be a little thing to adjust the spacing on each saddle I believe.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup. You sure can. At least on the one that I'm a caretaker for! ;)

5. Thanks guys. Jared, I see those allen nuts/threaded insert thingies. Are THOSE the adjusters? The barrel that the string sits on/in, doesn't appear to roatate to the right or left.
    Are those what you're seeing?

I've emailed Fodera a couple of times in the past and haven't received an answer either time...?

I'll contact BassAlone.com and ask John DiMaggio to fill me in or find out, but that'd have to wait 'til Monday...:meh:

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Try calling them. Yes it's long distance, but it's much easier to contact them that way. They generally do not respond to email based on my experience.

I believe what you were referring to is what I was talking about. That's strange they wouldn't move...

7. It's good to know that other people's experiences with Fodera email was the same as mine. So...it wasn't personal!

I haven't used the allen headed adjusters (?) yet, I wanted to find out if that was what I should try turning before I "went in".

I've also emailed John Dimaggio at www.bassalone.com ( a great dealer bky the way) hopefully he'll be able to give me a detailed instruction/tutorial if he has time over the weekend. If not, I'll call him and/or Fodera on Monday. Was just hoping to try this tonight or tomorrow, but I'll wait until I'm sure of what I'm doing.

8. Oh yeah, does anyone know the procedure for a starting point for adjusting string spacing?
    Does one start with the middle strings and work out? Start outside strings and work in?
    How does one be sure that the distance from the edge of the fingerboard ends up the same for the low B as for the high C on a six stringer?

9. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    I am pretty sure that the bridges on the Foderas do NOT allow string spacing adjustment. I researched this a year ago when I was considering buying one of these basses. When I went to the Fodera shop in Brooklyin to try them out, I found out that all of them had a string spacing of 19mm at the bridge (including the 5 and 6 string basses). Way too much for me. I play confortably with a string spacing of 18mm. More or less than 18mm is uncomfortable for me. That's why I would never buy a bass that does not have a third little hole for each string on the bridge that allows string spacing adjustment. The Roscoes, for instance, have this. This is essential for me when I am considering to buy a bass.

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yes they do. I own them and I know Boogie owns one that all allow adjustment. This has already been established. You did see us stating that right?

11. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    What do you mean by "you did see us stating that, right?"
    I guess you are wrong, my dear Jared.
    Not all of them allow string spacing at the bridge. If you go to their shop or call them you will find that out. The Foderas (most of them except for Jared Morante's I guess) have a 19mm spacing at the bridge, period. I spoke to Vinnie Fodera specifically about this when I was going to buy one last year. My bass teacher, Jeff Andrews (Steps Ahead, Michael Brecker, Wayne Shorter) agrees with me about the fact that the Foderas are too spaced out at the bridge (at least for the two of us, some people love the wide spacing). Jeff said the two times he visited the Fodera shop he couldn't find a bass that felt good because of the wide spacing at the bridge. The craftsmanship of the Foderas is incredible though. If you want a Fodera just make sure that the one you buy has string adjustment.
    good night

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    You can slightly change the spacing. It isn't a big difference but the barrels the strings rest on can be moved to the left or the right and then locked in place by an allen screw. I doubt that it will be enough movement to go from 19mm to 18mm but it doesn't matter to me as I love the way my Fodera plays.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

14. This isn't what I would consider "adjustable". As you can see, the allen screw sits in a channel that ensures stability.

2dmhzc2.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You're talking to ghosts.

16. I understand this. I was posting for those, like me, that go searching for info on the bridges and string spacing. I just figured that it might be helpful to someone.

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    And also not doing it very well.

The spacing adjustment is done by moving the barrel that the string sits on, not by moving the whole saddle. So yeah, the allen screw for height adjustment never needs to travel out of that channel.

Bridge anger fail.

18. My mistake.

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Then all is happy in the world!

Seriously, the side-to-side adjustment is done by the further back allen screw. This will move the contact point on the barrel in/out, allowing you to change the spacing between like 20mm and 18mm.

20. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Never paid attention to a Fodera's bridge before, but it appears to me from your image that there is a round hole on the side of each saddle "block". Looks like the saddle "dowel" runs thru that block. Perhaps that's where the adjustment comes from, if there's any.

EDIT: I see it's been answered.