1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fodera Club Part XXVII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. I agree. Love it :)

2. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    yeah. would seem to not be a presentation.

3. J._M.

J._M.

Feb 4, 2015
    Germany
    No Bassplayer in the world will be able to grab those jumpers with his fingers ;):D

DrewinHouston likes this.
  4. DELACIUS

DELACIUS

Sep 6, 2007
    Croatia
    thanks guys.... now let's see... :)

Attached Files:

5. Pete Cruger

Pete Cruger

Jan 25, 2016
    Wanchese, NC
    Make sure they are sterilized, don't want to give it an inflection...

DELACIUS likes this.
  6. Jeff in TX

Jeff in TX Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Lone Star State
    (Re)Joining the club. Been a while since I've had a Fodera. It's a real joy to play.

IMG_0575.

Spalted Maple Monarch 5 Deluxe
    • Presentation-grade Spalted Maple top (solid)
    • Matching wooden pickup covers
    • Mahogany Body
    • Ebony Fingerboard
    • 3-pc. Red Oak Neck
    • Mother of Pearl Dot Inlays
    • Dovetail Construction
    • 34" Scale Length
    • Fodera / Pope 3-Band Custom Preamp
    • Fodera / Duncan Dual Coil Pickups

7. Docbass1218

Docbass1218 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    southern New Jersey
    Man, that's beautiful! How do you like the red oak?

8. Jeff in TX

Nov 1, 2000
    Lone Star State
    It feels great! I definitely need more time with it, but the bass has great tone and is very responsive. Looking forward to working with it.

9. Docbass1218

Jan 15, 2012
    southern New Jersey
    Very cool. I've been playing with that combination of an ebony board and a red oak neck for 2 years. The tone, as well as the feel are really great. Enjoy and congratulations!!

10. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Does red oak feel/ respond more like ash than maple?

11. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Why do some players prefer the standard preamp over the custom preamp when they get custom basses?

12. WorktheWood

WorktheWood Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    I personally prefer the standard pre to the custom, mostly because of the dual mid control. I often will boost low mids while cutting upper mids which isn't something that can be done on the custom. I didn't order my custom with the standard pre but I almost did. I prefer the look/layout of the custom. I'm pretty sure Mike Pope uses his Flexcore in his custom bass as opposed to the Fodera custom as he has the dual mid control. I think I asked him once and he confirmed, but my memory is a little sketchy on that. I may do this with my custom.

iwearpumas likes this.
  13. Docbass1218

Jan 15, 2012
    southern New Jersey
    I have no experience with an ash neck. Therefore, no basis for comparison.

14. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I would love to try to dual mid control. But i don’t use mids anyway.

15. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    I find the low mid/high mid switch on the custom preamp to accomplish anything I need out of a mid control. I wouldn't mess with my imperial, as I find the preamp/pickup combo to be perfect on it, but definitely understand how the dual mid control could be beneficial for others. Once you find a wood and electronics combo that works for these basses though, it truly is a sublime experience- and usually its whatever the folks in Brooklyn would have recommended or installed in the first place.

Docbass1218 likes this.
  16. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Nice KL, we could start a I have a Kl and a Fodera club.

jsxtal and Jeff Rader like this.
  17. brandinstroy

brandinstroy Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I Support the following: Fodera, Noble Amps, JHAudio, Trickfish Amplification
    Nice basses, but what I really like is the that lamp. Can you post more pics of it?

18. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Quick question for you folks with Duncan duals - how do you set your pickup height? About three weeks back I posted about my Aguilar equipped bass having a much higher output than my Duncan equipped one. Well yesterday I raised my pickups and it’s made a great deal of difference. I wonder if the issue is that my bass had non-exposed pole pieces. I know that the wood shouldn’t affect the magnetic field but I’m sure that with non-exposed pole pieces your pickups will be a couple of millimetres further from the strings than with plastic or exposed wood pickup covers just by the nature of having to make the wood thick enough not to be at risk of breaking.

Anyway, I’m now liking the Duncans more and more. They might not sound as pretty soloed as EMGs or even Aguilars, which I’m also a fan of, but in a mix they have that prominent midrange grind/growl that really cuts through and helps the bass stand out while still having enough lows and highs not to sound too nasal. No surprise really - I imagine that Vinnie and Joey got lots of feedback in real world situations from all the great pros who play Foderas and this informed their choice when it came to making the Duncan duals the standard option.

Steve York, Zoobiedood and gkbass13 like this.
  19. Jeff in TX

Nov 1, 2000
    Lone Star State
    I'd definitely be in!

kittywithabanjo likes this.