1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fodera Club Part XXVII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. I’ve been Foderaless for a few months but got this in the mail yesterday! Looking forward to gigging it this weekend! I had planned to send it back to Fodera to have it routed for dual coils but the SD singles sound great. I do prefer the look of duals though!
    0E1F8D6C-EDC9-40AE-932C-78584238807D.

scottm, GHOST AT, trickyric and 9 others like this.
  2. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    I think that looks great. Congratulations mate.
    How does it compare with your old Monarch?

3. I prefer the sound of this so far. It’s tighter and punchier! My last Monarch Elite has a chambered mahogany body and ash tone block and it sounded a bit darker than I was looking for, it also had 19mm spacing at the bridge and that was a bit wide for me. It was really only 19mm when I tightened up the spacing quite a bit.

adambarringer likes this.
  4. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    Yes I understand - I had a 19mm spacing Monarch 6 followed by a 16.5mm spacing Monarch 6. I now have a 17.5mm spacing Emperor 6 and that's the sweet spot for me.

I'm going to be pushing the sale of my Emperor 6 bolt-on after I've picked up my Emperor 6 Elite in December and plan to use the proceeds towards an Emperor II Elite - I'll go with 17.5mm spacing again on this one for sure.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  5. brandinstroy

brandinstroy Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I Support the following: Fodera, Noble Amps, JHAudio, Trickfish Amplification
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  6. brandinstroy

brandinstroy Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I Support the following: Fodera, Noble Amps, JHAudio, Trickfish Amplification
    If this is the bass previously owned by Ryan Owens, it’s a great sounding instrument. I’ve played it a few times in the studio and live. I’d call it a modern form of a jazz bass.

TheShape101 likes this.
  7. Yes this was originally Ryan’s Bass. Sounds great! I think it’s my favourite sounding Fodera 5 I’ve had yet!

8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    are those tapes or coated strings? I love the simplicity of that Imperial!

TheShape101 likes this.
  9. They’re DR Black Beauties. They sound great and I think they really look great against the natural finish.

Leo Smith and J.Wolf like this.
  10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Sounds interesting!

11. My two singlecuts

Attached Files:

KoaFodera, rsoby, oldfretless and 3 others like this.
  12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Two beautiful basses!

13. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I traded my Duncan Dualmcoild bass for an EMG Fodera. Completely blown away at how organic the active EMGs can sound.

I am surprised more people don’t get this option.

14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    My YY5S is completely surprising how natural and open sounding.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  15. Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Any club members own a Emperor Standard 5 fretless? I’m trying to sell my current fretless to either save the bucks until/if Fodera decides to do another run (which I’ve been told there are no plans as of now) or go through the custom shop and get one exactly as I want it... which would be a Monarch instead.

DrewinHouston likes this.
  16. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    I reckon go through the custom shop. The folks there are, as we all know, just superb to work with asking lots and lots of very important questions to make you think and give you the absolute best chance of getting everything right for you.

I had the lower horn cutaway a little deeper than their normal template to give me greater access to all the upper frets - it didn't occur to me that that was even on the table as an option because it wasn't listed. I had a few other things done that I wouldn't have had if I'd not spoken through my build so much with Jim, Phil and Jason. I'm planning my second custom build now.

rsoby, Element Zero and Midak like this.
  17. Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I’ve been emailing Jim a bit about options and stuff to try and get an idea of price... it’s a little hard to justify custom shop prices on a bass that will probably be less than 50% playtime compared to a fretted. Not that I don’t think it’d be worth it. Just, at the extreme upper end of what my wife and I are comfortable with spending on 1 instrument. It’s all contingent on selling my current fretless for an acceptable price to offset.

18. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    my two cents.

what is your fretted?

get a bass that has the same specs (or as close as possible) for your fretless.

i find it much easier to go between fretted and fretless basses when they have the same feel and basic sound paradigm.

imho, ymmv, etc.

19. Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    It’s a Yin Yang Standard 5.

20. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    some may scoff at this, but you could find another one and remove the frets.

or you could see if they’re gonna do a run of those and request no frets?

again, my two cents.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018