1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fodera Club Part XXVII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Well I really enjoy the tone, but the video of Mike Pope playing the Emperor 5 Standard fretless sounds absolutely killer. I like the monarch body shape as it fits me quite well and all up and down the neck my getting hand is in very comfy positions.

In a fretless though, I’d rather have woods that cater to a more growly type tone. Not that YY5 couldn’t get there, but (for me) its strength lies in the openness of the sound with a complex midrange and a hhhUGE bottom end.

2. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    what are the woods?

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    YYS5 is alder body with holly top, maple neck, ebony fingerboard. I think that would make for great fretless action. My frankenFoderaFretless is alder body, maple top, red oak neck, ebony fingerboard.

Element Zero and TolerancEJ like this.
  4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I’m wanting more of a Tom Kennedy type tone. I know he primarily plays fretted, but that super midrange growl he gets is really what I’m after. Adam Nitti’s red Ibanez and P-nut (311) have a similar growl and super tight bottom end that I’m looking for. I absolutely LOVE the sound of the YY5 but to me it’s much more wider sounding with quite the hefty bottom end but doesn’t quite (or at least I haven’t figured it out how to do it) get that super tight growl. Darrell Freeman gets a similar sound I’m looking for with his Fodera as well. Check him out on Instagram. Dudes a monster player.

This is probably the best place to ask these types of questions and I value everyone’s input and experiences with your Fodera’s.

5. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    howdy. does anyone have a pic of the aj presentation that shows the chambering before they put the top on?

6. brandinstroy

brandinstroy Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I Support the following: Fodera, Noble Amps, JHAudio, Trickfish Amplification
    How’s this

Attached Files:

Steve York, Snaxster, steubig and 4 others like this.
  7. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    thank you.

8. A new build :)?

9. Amazing beauty! Soundclips?

10. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    funny ideas.

emjazz and Christian Houmann like this.
  11. wrp

wrp Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    PM me when you get a chance

12. brandinstroy

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    :thumbsup:

13. brandinstroy

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thought this was interesting

14. Its funny cos he still sounds like him! :)
    Of course theres a differences in tone, but still. Its not so radical change :)

15. brandinstroy

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
  16. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    It was interesting. I preferred the EMGs..lol

emjazz and gkbass13 like this.
  17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I super prefer the Nord sound, but simply because I like a more traditional/less hyped sound. It's just warmer and closer to what I feel the acoustic sound of the bass is. Very nice!

gkbass13 likes this.
  18. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Love both sounds. There is a little something special about playing a monarch and getting that victoresque ping up top though. Personally I’d probably save up for a second bass and keep it EMG loaded.

rsoby likes this.
  19. brandinstroy

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Agreed

20. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I guess I'm not the only one. I like Nordy stuff, but for whatever reason I think the EMG PJ/Pope setup in a Fodera 4-string is damn-near perfect.

oldfretless and JesseMalaska like this.