1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fodera Club Part XXVII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. This guy plays a mahogany with maple fingerboard

2. DELACIUS

DELACIUS

Sep 6, 2007
    Croatia
    Hey all, so I'm making this post because I found the best case gigbag for my Fodera (and other basses). So it's carbon fiber case that are made custom by hand (which is the result of the price). It's only 4.3 kg in weight and my Gruvgear gig bag is 4kg. So here are the pics. Also, here is a pic of same case made for my old Alembic (I have 2 cases), I just want to show you that anything that you want inside to be different or modified, it can be done because every case is hand made, you can choose color, inside, color of inside of case (fabric)... only thing that is unchangeable is the mold of the case, it is long as my Gruvgear gigbag (130 cm), but for me that good because you can fit long scale basses or basses as Alembic, which are really long.
    So more info at Shop - accordcase.com

Here are the pics
    IMG_20200105_111907.jpg IMG_20200105_112053.jpg IMG_20200105_112047.jpg IMG_20200105_112112.jpg IMG_20200105_112130.jpg IMG_20200105_112010.jpg IMG_20200105_111954.jpg IMG_20200105_111942.jpg IMG_20200105_111744.jpg IMG_20181225_104611.jpg IMG_20181225_104639.jpg

Attached Files:

KUETSUM likes this.
  3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Memorial show tonight for our singer that passed away last month. Opened with a harmonics version of Amazing Grace, then vox/bass duo of Hallelujah, then Steely Jamming it. Cleaned up the YYD last night - it is showing its wear and tear. And that makes me happy.

EmptyName.jpg

EmptyName-1.jpg

EmptyName-2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  4. kinopah

kinopah Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    NC
    Really sorry to hear about your singer, although the event (and the bass) looked great.

In other news I’ve got another of your old basses headed to me (I think). I had one of your Foderastein neck-swap experiments for awhile. Anyway, a guy was selling this Monarch for cheap and I made an offer for cheaper, which I did NOT expect him to go for. And well... 2 Monarch P household now! (It's not redundant - this one's SUNBURST.)

I’m a passive P guy for sure, and now I can keep one of my Monarchs as a flats-Motown thing and keep the other in slappy-funky mode.

233E59B5-BF47-4DA5-BF41-DB33E463171B.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  5. dhagopian

dhagopian Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I often think about having 2 Ps for that same reason... just to have one strung with flats and one with rounds.

Christian Houmann likes this.
  6. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium
    Still loving my YYD like day 1! SO happy I could get it go viral on another video!

teWyOBt.jpg

7. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Sweet!! Amazing playing by you both.

Not sure what Davie is playing but man the Fodera sounds infinitely better. He made his whatever sound good. But you made your fodera sound incredible!!

libanass likes this.
  8. dhagopian

Jun 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I love when he rolls his eyes around 15 seconds lol :roflmao:

Element Zero and libanass like this.
  9. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium
    Thanks!

He's using a Squier P-bass, Davie can make just about anything sound great!

Yeah, the Fodera sounds incredible, this ads up with a good action/neck setup and fingers of course! Plus, the Elixir strings are like a year old and extremely played!

Guess what I used as amp and effects?
    Nothing :drool:

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  10. WorktheWood

WorktheWood Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    I'm curious about others' opinions. I've been speaking with someone that stated their custom Fodera was way better than a standard. I asked why and his response was that the quality of wood is better. I know this isn't true as Fodera uses the same great quality of wood for every instrument they make. I mentioned this and his reply was that they are built to a lower quality. I know this is not true as the same luthiers make the customs and standards and I doubt very seriously that they put less effort into the standards.

I explained to him that the difference in price between a standard and custom has nothing to do with the quality of woods used or the craftsmanship, but because standards allow instruments to be built in batches with set specs and no customization which is much more efficient and less costly way to manufacture a bass.

He responds by saying the standards just feel cheap. Feel is obviously subjective but I will say I've owned probably 30 Fodera's over the years, multiple Elites, Deluxes, bolt-ons, and Standards, have had many custom made for me, and my current two Emperor Standard Classic 5' are the best basses I've ever owned.

I'd love to hear some opinions and perceptions on this topic.

Element Zero, GHOST AT and Joshua like this.
  11. sorgas

sorgas Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I feel that we always tent to justify our actions as the most effective or better choices possible, the fact that a standard Fodera could be as good as his customs is like saying that he paid twice the price just for easthetic...also suggestin’ that this is the kind of bass player that cares more for the look and less for the tone (very dangerous for a bass player self esteem). The truth, as you said, is that is less costly to build in batches, or extremely more expensive to have certain type of wood choices, wood covers, veneers, stringers, neck trhough cause it’s more hours to put there, 30 years of woodworkin, 30 years of custom design, 30 and more years of experience in building instruments..etc etc. And this is true for every bass builders that has both custom and a standard line made in house.
    This is fun man..is exactly the same with the statement that payin’ more than 2000$ for a bass guitars is useless...same mindset opposite side of the bass world.
    Funny fact. Im in the process of gettin closer to the Fodera world, had the chance to play 2 standards Emperor, one was a classic, the other was a special madrone top...the owner states that is totally useless to go with elite or deluxe custom models, you pay just for the look...

12. kinopah

kinopah Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    NC
    People who visit my area understand the folks who shell out a fortune to live on the lake. They DON'T understand the folks who pay a bit less to live NEAR the lake. Like what's the appeal? But those people get the nice fresh air and same good neighborhood school, and maybe they rent a boat slip and put more of their $ in a nicer boat.

Everybody tells themselves what they want/need to hear.

People willing to justify $15k for a Deluxe will have no problem finding rationale (because it EXISTS). People who want the base model (so to speak) from the same craftspeople won't either. And people who say a Squier P-bass is enough need only scroll up a few posts for evidence. You choose what you want to see and hear and judge accordingly. Ideally you only judge yourself, but...

I'm also a pro yo-yo player (lol I know...) and I've got magnesium & titanium yo-yo's which cost $400+. I've got old plastic Butterflies which cost a dollar. And everything imaginable in between. It's pretty crazy how irrespective of money, the right yo-yo in the right hands makes magic and a bad fit just looks ridiculous.

13. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium
    I don’t know, but my former Deluxe was at least better than my former Standard and I had one of the first ones with single piece neck which tends to resonate better than the new 3 pc necks / flat head. But it also moved a lot more..

My YYD is also at least a bit better than my Monarch Deluxe.. I think with Fodera the more you pay, the better you keep getting. Will it affect the sound? Yes and no, I think the angled head DOES affect playability and sound by A LOT, and I sure wish Fodera would set a slightly higher price on their Standards while keeping the angled head..

That doesn’t exclude the fact that Standards are already awesome instruments. But I do find the customs better, and it has nothing to do with the price, if there was someone with open mind about Standards, it’s me, I just find more happiness on the customs and sold the standards.

But there were times when I had more than enough with a Standard and I almost sold the Deluxe instead, but times change..

I wouldn’t close all the doors though, if I find one that I like, I might still get a Standard

14. dhagopian

Jun 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like he’s just uninformed. I have both and nothing about the standard feels “cheap.” Granted they’re very different. My custom is fretless, passive, single coil. Standard is fretted active dual coil. I notice no difference in terms of quality.

Element Zero and TolerancEJ like this.
  15. WorktheWood

Mar 27, 2014
    I don't doubt at all that your Deluxe was better, for you, than the standard you had, but the why is what I interested in. The discussion above is based off the perception from the person I was talking to that the standards are of a lesser quality. A custom can certainly be better based on the wood and construction preference of the individual, but that has nothing to do with the build or wood quality. I personally prefer the flat, non-angled headstock, but I'm also more into the Fender thing than the exotic woods. I don't think there's an appreciably difference in tone between flat/angled, but my preference for flat is for the practical reason that I like the ability to lay the bass down without worrying about the angled headstock and I prefer the truss rod adjustment at the body end. I also feel, that for the tones that work best for me, I like as few laminates as possible. Two piece bodies with no top sound best to me with very little compression; more laminates seem to add more compression which negatively effects the dynamics of my playing. I prefer one piece neck, I wish Fodera still used them on the standards, they sound better to me.

16. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Admittedly I played only a few Standards ever. One was my first Fodera, which is one of the first batch of Monarch Ps. Now I have additionally three customs that were made for me. With that experience I can say with certainty that there is nothing cheap about my Monarch P; nothing I can see, feel, or hear.

I have the preference for the angled head design that @libanass expressed. Other than that, I would say that my Monarch P looks and feels "elemental" compared to my customs. It embodies only the essence of a Fodera instrument, whereas the customs expand upon that essence into specificity of various aspects (shape, woods, features, weight, appearance, etc.)

It's like buying a "stripper" Porsche sports car: just because it doesn't have A/C, leather seats, or auto-dimming mirrors doesn't make it any less of a Porsche than one that has those options (which will cost and weigh more, all other things being equal). And to the very point, both were built by the same people.

17. WorktheWood

Mar 27, 2014
    I think the angled headstock is certainly more elegant, more aesthetically pleasing, but my preference for the flat is just for the practical reasons I mentioned above. On one of my customs that I ordered once it was a bolt-on that I spec'd with the angled headstock but with the truss adjustment being at the heel. I ended not ordering the bass but I would've been fine with that compromise. I like being able to make truss rod adjustments while in the playing position.

18. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I dont see why other opinions matter that much, if you enjoy the instrument and it works for you, that's enough.

19. WorktheWood

Mar 27, 2014
    Others' opinions don't matter to me at all, especially in terms of my enjoyment of my choice of instruments. That's not what this discussion is about. I simply posed the topic because I thought this persons views on the standards interesting and was curious what others thought. I've been playing for nearly 40 years now and am quite secure in my thoughts and choices.

Docbass1218 and TolerancEJ like this.
  20. Speaking of Fodera ? Is Jason still at Fodera ?