1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fodera Club Part XXVII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. He's still listed on the website.

2. Docbass1218

Docbass1218 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    southern New Jersey
    Hi Christian. To the best of my knowledge he is. Have you heard otherwise?

3. No No. Haven’t just seen him the last Fodera pictures on facebook/insta. He always seem to be there - so I was just wondering

Docbass1218 likes this.
  4. kinopah

kinopah Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    NC
  5. dhagopian

dhagopian Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Pretty cool they went with the purpleheart fingerboard with that :thumbsup:

Bottom 4 and TolerancEJ like this.
  6. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium
    That's the main problem I think, 3 piece necks still sound great on Customs builds because of the angled head, but on the Standards, it hardly sustains and resonates as much as their first one piece necks!

The Standards with 1 piece necks I tried sounded great, but I did not like the new ones.. Tried 2 of them, they were too muted and thin sounding, don't know how to explain, don't have that with any of my customs

Hence why I prefer customs
    The older Standard sounded great, but I also don't like one piece necks because they can be a bit less stable

So basically, I prefer angled head + 3 pc neck, and that's why I prefer customs :)

KUETSUM likes this.
  7. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium

It's true that adjusting the trussrod on the angled head customs can be a pain, but try reversing your trusrod (if you ever need too, on one of my Fodera, I actually DO), you'll be in trouble because you need to remove the neck, and that's a lot more work than removing a trussrod cover and stand up ;)

Gotta then pray your Fodera Standard's neck doesn't fall right in the middle of your preferred setup!
    It's unlikely, but ok, I have it on my YYD, a truss reversal is necessary every 6 months to fit MY personal preferred gauge and neck bow. Glad I don't have to take off the neck every time for that. (well, you can't anyway :laugh:)

oldfretless likes this.
  8. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium
    Agreed.

iwearpumas likes this.
  9. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium

It's nice, as long as you don't see the head on that thing and the other one :facepalm::atoz:

Come on Fodera, please keep the Yin Yang logo on the head, PLEASE! There are no other basses I love as much as Foderas!

kinopah likes this.
  10. WorktheWood

WorktheWood Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    I personally don't think the thinner tone you describe has anything to do with the flat headstock. The 3 piece neck causes this tone because it adds compression, the angled headstock does not correct this. I've experienced what you describe in the customs I've played. The 3 piece neck can sound more even because of the compression, though. I've also not found any difference in stability between 1 and 3 piece, though I understand why 3 piece could be more stable.

Also, in the 30 Fodera's I've owned I've never had to flip the rod, though a few people have had to. I don't think I'd have to take the neck off, there seems to be enough room in the truss rod access route on the body.

Adam Wright likes this.
  11. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    I really think the right custom deluxe or elite 5 is the sweet spot for Fodera imo. If you want a jazz bass inspired vintage type bass I have found Allevas to hit this mark. One piece necks too! I have this combo and they really compliment each other.

12. WorktheWood

Mar 27, 2014
    I've tried to like Allevas but have yet to find one that I liked. I've played a few that I liked the feel but didn't like the sound. Played a few more that didn't do anything for me. Plus, the headstock is just...

Element Zero likes this.
  13. JPMcGuire

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Another great combo option is a fodera 5 custom and a precbs jazz. If you want a traditional jazz bass tone and also a bass with B string and some modern element this is the combo. If I had to consolidate my collection this would be the final two.

14. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium

Well, I can tell the Yin Yang Standard Series 2 that I recently tried back last summer, hardly resonated like my Yin Yang Deluxe Series 2.. nor did it feel the same (in the build quality sense). I drove 600 km to buy it, and came back empty handed, so I had my reasons :) There was an Elite in that shop that I instantly fell in love with instead, but I could not afford it.

The older YYS Series 1 resonated wonderfully though (which I also tried), but I still prefer both the look and the tighter strings feel of the angled headstock and the easier access to the last frets on the Deluxe as well.

I agree with you that the angled headstock can be a pain in the a** to put on a couch since it could add tension on the neck, I just don't think that is a deal-breaker at all

One piece necks are (and should) only be on bolted basses (except graphite necks or something very stable), since they could be less reliable than multiple piece necks, especially in the way Fodera builds them, and necks on bolted instruments are at least replaceable.. And since the bolt-on slightly decreases air flow in the instrument, the one piece neck helps too! Or at least, that's what I believe in!

Personally, one piece necks often drove me crazy of how much more they move and how loose the strings feel, especially that I play with an extremely low action, so it all comes down to personal preference, I had, I tried, and the customs are the right ones for me! Believe, I wish it was the Standards, that would have saved me a few thousands :thumbsup:

Hope this enlightens you on why some prefer the customs over the Standards, and vice versa
    I remind that they are both fantastic instruments, whichever we prefer all comes down to personal preference

Btw, not sure you can remove the truss without dismantling the neck

15. dhagopian

dhagopian Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Yeah... even if they painted it solid white it would have looked better...

16. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I've owned/gigged both customs and standards. Too many of them :D. I never found a difference in "quality" when talking about construction. There were customs that were/are fantastic (I have two of them now), customs that didn't really float my boat and/or were subject to my whims of experimenting with different configurations, standards that I liked a lot (but subject to the same whims), etc. Hell, I even did a neck swap on two standards.

fwiw I strongly prefer the angled headstock (I rarely sit the bass on anything flat) and a chambered body, and don't care for the DCs. That puts me in custom territory one way or another. And my YYD has spoiled me.

Speaking of that, video from the weekend gig. Clams aside, my version of public prayer. God speed Mikey.

17. JPMcGuire

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    I've had a strange Fodera experience. I've had 20 or so Foderas. I've had 140+ basses over the years. I've done 3 custom builds with Fodera (great experience by the way). Of three customs I had built, one unique Monarch 5 Deluxe stuck and it's amazing in every way. Even totally bass laymen, sound men, audience members, etc. comment on how great it it is. Its a universally appealing bass in tone and feel. I had to go into obsessive detail to find this spec. even the same custom deluxe twice with wood tweaks.

One of the top worst basses of my 140+ was unfortunately a standard 4 string. Just sounded boring, bland and dead. The other standards were pretty decent. But Im in the camp if you go with a Fodera go with a custom with the exact tone woods and specs you want - thats their specialty.

If you want a vintage jazz tone, find a great vintage jazz..:)

18. WorktheWood

Mar 27, 2014
    Again, the topic is not why some prefer the customs over standards, there are obvious reasons why that would be. The topic is about whether the standards are of a lower quality than the customs.

I would happily order another custom, but since my tonal needs are best met with alder bodies with no tops and bolt-on construction, plus I prefer the vintage look, I get what I need out of the standard classics.

I just sold a killer Emperor Elite 5. It was the best custom I've owned. However, my ash/maple classic sounded and played better, and every band I play with agreed. Believe me, I tried hard to convince myself to keep it and do slightly regret selling but the reality is that I couldn't imagine a situation where I'd take it out instead of the classic.

One of the worst basses I've ever owned was an Imperial 5 Richard Bona model. The neck was very unstable and the instrument just sounded dead. The neck just didn't feel good either.

What it really comes down to, as it does with every brand, is the individual instrument. There are dogs out there both custom and standard. I don't believe it's due to a lack of quality, it's just the nature of wood. I've had customs made using woods that typically produce my preferred tones that just turn out as I'd hoped. I had a beautiful Emperor 5 with an alder body, redwood top and Brazilian rosewood fingerboard built. On paper that bass should've been a lifer but it just didn't sound very good. It was rather light for a Fodera 5 at 8.8lbs which I believe is part of the reason it didn't sound very good, just too light to have any balls.

19. kessell5

kessell5

May 30, 2015
    I noticed on the Fodera site they have him listed as ‘honorary partner’ now.

20. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Huh. Honorary partner... early retirement?Seems Jim Jostra is gone too AND he unfriended me on Instagram :(