1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fodera Club Part XXVII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (10/14/09 - 12/16/19)
    Hi there gang! Wow, it has been forever and a day since I last posted here. It is AWESOME to see everyone who is still active on this Board.

I am still involved with Fodera but no longer as Managing Partner. We have transitioned my role to that of advisor and friend purely for personal reasons. I have built and / or operated multiple businesses during my professional life and while I LOVE what I do -- especially with a company like Fodera where I am impassioned by both what we do and also care deeply about the people with whom I get to work, I've decided that it's simply time for me to work a lot less.

Deborah and I have long wanted to live in a much more rural place -- a smaller house with a lot more land. With the kids fully grown, we decided that it was time to make this life goal happen. Vin, Joey and Laura have all been aware of and involved with this transition and I have been working with Laura directly for the past five years to make certain that when it was time for this to happen that Fodera was fully prepared. The reality is that with the exception of when she was out on maternity leave last Winter, Laura has already been the lead manager for our team for the past three years.

So, long story short, my title has changed to "Honorary Partner and Friend for Life." I will still be in the Shop a bit every month but the torch has been passed with regards to my active managerial role. Fodera is definitely a stronger company with a more diverse and dynamic team than when I joined back in 2009 and our goals remain the same -- to make world class instruments and to ensure that our grandkids have the opportunity to buy Fodera instruments of the same quality that we get to enjoy today.

2. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    heart emoji

emjazz and gkbass13 like this.
  3. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    Love. That. Congrats Jason!

4. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium
    Congrats Jason! So awesome to hear from you and that you're doing great and that you have accomplished your life goal!

Just as I was almost going to type that Jason certainly retired from Talkbass a while ago, and here you are! :laugh: What a pleasure reading you again!

Much love to you and the family! Hope to keep hearing from you every now and then!
    What a great thing you did for Fodera! :thumbsup:

5. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium
    I think most of the time discussing quality is a personal thing, and does not matter the same to everyone

For example, a painted logo on a Yin Yang Standard does feel like lower quality than a wood inlayed logo on the custom version. Will it make it a lesser of an instrument? No

Even with a perfectly plekked and setup 2k worth of a MusicMan StingRay, I still get to enjoy a very high quality instrument and playability.. But somehow, I just feel and sound better on my custom Foderas, and that's a personal preference

kinopah and Gnal like this.
  6. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Bravo Jason! It was a pleasure to work with you.

7. Good to hear from you. I’m have learn so much from you and I really appreciate you taking spending the time helping us. It sound like a great move for you and your wife. Take care :)

Coleman and libanass like this.
  8. WorktheWood

WorktheWood Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    I don't think the painted logo on a Fodera equates to lower quality. It certainly takes less time and skill to execute, and less expensive but it doesn't lower the quality. I think maybe we don't have the same definition of quality.

dhagopian likes this.
  9. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium
    That's what I just said. It won't make it less of an instrument, but it doesn't feel as "premium" as the Deluxe does.

The quality you're referring to, is all in the correct setup ;) that doesn't really demand a lot of extra Fodera quality work, except a good plek and setup, and decent electronics.
    Many other instruments than Foderas offer these for much cheaper.

10. WorktheWood

Mar 27, 2014
    Quality to me means the quality of materials used, meaning well seasoned wood, pickups, electronics, hardware, and the way the materials were assembled into an instrument. Quality is not just the set-up, it's the bass as a whole. The extras of which you speak that differentiates a custom from a standard does not make the instrument a higher quality. It might make it better suited to the individual but both instruments are made to the same level quality and will likely last a life time.

tleebassist11 likes this.
  11. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hi Jason. Happy New Year, and Congratulations! I think it's great, what you did for and with Fodera. And it's good to hear that you could follow up with something else great for your family. I wish you and your wife happiness and health in your new home and newfound free time.

12. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium
    For me, it doesn't matter what the instrument is and the hours spend on inlaying crazy logos with woods, as long as it sounds and plays good in my hands. I can't lie, the looks are also important to me, somehow.. But not as important as comfort and tone.

And Custom Foderas seem to complete these tasks for me slightly more than other instruments or Standard Foderas, that's all ;)

I really wish my favorite basses were cheaper, so I can own much more than just 2 of them :smug:

13. WorktheWood

Mar 27, 2014
    Absolutely, a custom can certainly meet personal preference better than the standards, but this is not from a lack of quality as it relates to a standard, just personal preference.

And for Fodera prices, I wouldn't own one that I didn't like the looks of, no matter the tone or playability. At these prices, the bass has to have it all:) For me, Fodera does this better than any other brand. The Emperor shape is my favorite out of all builders and looks great whether it's painted or has a fancy top. This has been a fun topic to discuss, though I suppose it's at an end.

14. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    Screenshot_20200116_010916.jpg Another changes from Fodera are All Classic lines use Nitro Gloss finish on the body and scoopless-heel.

The Nitro Gloss is optional, up charge 500usd, what the different from "old" gloss finish? Any benefit on it?

And i love the scoop-heel design, more elegant, but Fodera took it out! Anybody like it too?

TolerancEJ likes this.
  15. WorktheWood

Mar 27, 2014
    If you want a gloss finish classic you can only get it in nitro. You can still get the old finish with the same colors but it will be satin. Personally, I'm not thrilled with the upcharge nitro. I've had no issues with old finish, it looked great and was durable. My experience with nitro in the past hasn't been great in terms of durability. I liked the scooped heel but getting rid of it doesn't really bother be.

Coleman likes this.
  16. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I'm not sure I'm tracking. Which is the scoop-less heel?

17. WorktheWood

Mar 27, 2014
    The pic above is of the scoopless heel which is just their normal heel as opposed to the heel that has the scooped carving.

18. kinopah

kinopah Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    NC
    Gotta say I LOVE the scooped heel. Find it super comfy. I don’t care too much about nitro, BUT I would love to see some relic’d classics just because.

Coleman likes this.
  19. oldfretless

oldfretless Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2007
    SoYo County,PA
    Congrats to Jason, and hope you enjoy this new phase in life. I will say in the 8 years I've dealt with him, EVERY interaction was outstanding. He is the pinnacle of customer interaction and service. To me, he was simply the best.

libanass likes this.
  20. libanass

libanass

Oct 16, 2009
    Belgium
    Yeah, I have that scoop-heel on my FClef bass, and it's much nicer

But I did not have it on my ex Monarch Standard either, it was the very first one ever made. I thought it was only a custom thing..

Coleman likes this.