Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Compression Wound SS Strings 45 - 130

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gfab333, Nov 11, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I put a set of these on the F Bass about 5 days ago and did a gig with them on Saturday night. This set has a noticably firmer string tension, more so than many other brands that I tried. The tone was great. No problem nailing the Marcus Miller slap tone or the Alain Caron hi-fi tone. Great definition and punchiness. No flabby mushy tone from this set.

I previously had the F strung with a set of DRs, SS Hi Beams, I think. Also, used previously used GHS super steels, Ken Smith, Laklands, etc. I have to reiterate that the string tension was noticably stiffer/firmer. It caused a slight neck bow which required a truss rod adjustment in order to keep my neck close to zero relief, the way I like it. A friend of mine suggested that the stiffer string tension may be due to the compression winding process, or perhaps the use of a thicker core. Anybody else got a comment on these?

At $30, they're slightly cheaper than the DRs.

2. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Well, the DR's are also compression wound but they are more flexible (round core). And the Hi-beams and the Sunbeams both have the round core as does the Fodera's. I'm pretty sure Fodera uses a bit thicker core wire.

3. I normally use nothing else, gfab. I have a set of MTDs on my FBB right now, 45-135, and they're quite thin-sounding by comparison.

4. I'm a recent convert to Fodera strings. I've used the medium light sets and now the light. They have truly remarkable tone and the light set's 120 low B actually has a very focused sound. Y'all buy 'em so the price'll go down ok? (I play a 6 stringer.)

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I just strung my fodera up with Victor Wooten signature strings a week ago, still sounds fresh as hell, they are incredibly crisp and bright. I like them.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    11 years later, any new thoughts? Thinking about getting the heavy 50-110 set.

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Really like the Fodera's I've tried- Lots of tone.
    They're all round core, nickel and s/s.
    But the Fodera's outer wrap is compressed side-to-side,
    where-as I think DR's outer wrap is compressed from outside-to-inside (90' from Fodera's).
    Fodera's feel smoother than some other s/s or nickel round wound strings because the outer wind's tops are closer together, therefore less 'course',
    And DR's are eliptical (flatter) on the outside, feeling smoother, also.