Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Core 4... dangit!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Selta, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    OK, so I used to run Fodera Core 2 on my current system... last night I got the chance to be on cable internet for a few hours, so I decided to download Core 4 and give it a whirl. So I did, and burnt it to CD no prob.
    Today I backed up all of my Core 2 junk, formatted the drive, and installed Core 4. Get through a successful install, and reboot. GRUB never shows up (goes straight to my windows HDD). OK, well, this is kind of weird, but, whatever, it's happened before. So I unplug my windows HDD, and let the Core 4 one plugged in and reboot, figuring I must've fudged up where to install the bootloader. Well, it does nothing. System POSTs, then sits at a screen with the blinky underline :p. So I shrug and say whatever, then put in disc one and go through the install again... this time I double check all of my options, RPMs, bootloader, install location, etc. etc. get through the install and the same thing happens! So, I'm lost. Here's my system specs if it'll help any:
    Sony RA710G
    P4 w/ HT 3.2GHz
    1.5GB DDR 333MHz
    hda = 250GB NTFS for windows XP (primary)
    hdb = 40GB for Fodera (slave)
    I really dunno what I could've done wrong... I've done enough Linux installs to know how to do a stupid bootloader (though I miss LILO!). Any *unix guru out there got any idea what I'm doing wrong?

-Ray

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Isn't it Fedora? like.. the hat not the bass?

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Shows how much I pay attention to what I'm typing :rolleyes:. Just a lil aggreviated at the moment :p. Oh well, can't change the thread title now haha.

-Ray

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I like hats.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    *points and laughs*

HA! Hey Ray I was expecting your typical IM typed linux conversation.... how many years has it been you've been hacking at linux now???

:p Sorry Ray, I've been mainly in BSD these days. (did you ask google?)

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Several years man, several years. But off and on too. I just don't get it... I did /, /boot and swap partitions, I installed GRUB to both the MBR and then to the boot partition, both gave me the same result. I think what I'm going to do next, is not install a boot loader, then try just loading the HDD and see if that works.
    I dunno, I'm just confused. I did these installs a thousand times, and this is the first time I couldn't get it to boot (I think :p). I just wish it'd work, I really wanna learn *nix!

-Ray

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    And yeah, I asked google first :(.

-Ray

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, you'll be getting more views with that title, i bet.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I also use fedora core 4. When I need help I go on the usenet at news:linux.redhat
    They are really helpful over there. They will help you out that's for sure

10. I had the exact same problem: Fedora was my first taste of Linux, and was only a very brief one. I downloaded and installed FC3, and the installation went great. I set it up to dual-boot with GRUB. (I dedicated a whole HD to it.) However, there were 2 problems that all the help in the world couldn't resolve: when it booted, I couldn't get X working; all I could get was a mouse cursor and a grey screen, and grub wouldn't load. I eventually gave up and installed Ubuntu which has treated me rather nicely.