Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera direct vs. Groove Shoppe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by swingfingers, Jun 4, 2004.

1. David Beasley used to work at Fodera as the sales rep. Now he has his own shop (the Groove Shoppe) and I don't think anyone has really replaced him at Fodera. Based on his web site, however, David still seems to act as a sales arm for Fodera.

For those of you that have dealt with both, what are your thoughts on the Groove Shoppe vs. going to Fodera directly (since David has left) for modifications and repairs... as well as designing a new instrument. Does the Groove Shoppe charge something on top of what Fodera would normally charge? Is it easier to get service and time/attention from the Groove Shoppe or better to go straight to Vinnie and Joey? What have people’s experiences been?

Thanks in advance.

2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I thought I would jump in to nip this one in the bud...

We have no affiliation with Fodera beyond the fact that we carry their products. We are not a subsidiary or an extension of their business in any way.

With that said, however, David's rich history with Fodera allows us access and exposure to Vinnie and Joey that is somewhat beyond what other dealers traditionally have. Our pesonal relationships with Fodera, as well as our physical proximity to the shop allows us the unique opporunity to literally control every aspect and detail of our orders. This coupled with the David's experience with custom orders and our collective knowledge of the Fodera line is really where our "market niche" stems from.

I won't attempt to answer your question regarding going direct through Fodera vs through us, because I think that would be a bit of a conflict of interest.

I did want to clarify though that The Groove Shoppe is owned solely by David and I and is not formally linked to Fodera in any legal way.

3. Thanks for the response, Joel. Do you and David then do only sales of new (and used) basses or do you also handle upgrades, modifications and/or repair??

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I'll offer that, while I don't know about the Groove shoppe specifically - when I bought my Fodera, it was from Bass Central and the price on it was *less* than I was quoted directly from Fodera when I called them.

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Good point. Most manufacturers avoid selling direct because it conflicts with their dealer's businesses. Some will sell direct though when there is no local dealer relative to where a potential customer may live. Most will sell at a minimum discount off of list though to avoid undercutting what a typical dealer would sell it for. This (generally) keeps everyone happy. Though I guess in this internet age, some of that is probably irrelevant.