Fodera Disapointment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silvermaneZ, Jun 22, 2001.

1. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX

BassNW has been advertising a Fodera Custom Monarch Elite 5 fretless for a few months now that was just gorgeous. Bubinga/Wenge neck thru with Bubinga sides. They put it on sale last month, and I finally decided yesturday that my credit card could handle the hit, so I called on it.

*Dramatic pause*

They sold it earlier this week. :eek: I had all my GAS going toward that bass, and now my GAS is flat. According to the Fodera site, the same bass newly built would run over 6 grand, and I REALLY can not afford to shell that out.

*Big sigh*

*Deynn, Stingray5 - was not sure if this was Basses or Misc.; figured I would start here.
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That sucks, man. I've had the same thing happen to me, too. Nothing as extravagent as a Fodera, though.
  3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Well, you know, you snooze you lose, someone else was probably waiting until their card could take the hit as well. I feel your pain though. ;)
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Tough break... but you really have to move immediately on used high end basses.There's a lot of guys out there just waiting for them.
  5. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

Do not overly fret. They always get the good stuff coming in. If you haven't already, let them know you are looking for that same (or similar) bass so as when one comes in, they'll contact you.

Sorry for your GAS burst.

BTW, don't make you credit card ineligible when it's time to act.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That bass had been there for a long time.

The other advice you got here was very sound, especially snoozing and's one of the reasons I get "lucky";). I recently got my Elrick and second AMP-BH420 for great prices because I was the first to commit to them. Know what you want and you won't have to spend time thinking about it if and when it becomes available.

Being in the right financial shape is key, too. You don't have to be rich, you just need to prioritze and be ready.

Did you call Bass NW at any point over the last six months and make them an offer? You may want to, next time.

7. If I were you, I wouldn't kill myself over it, because there's ALWAYS good deals on the internet. It's a fact. Out with the old, in with the new.
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hey Ive had kinda of a gripe with BassNW, I've called on a few different items in the last couple months and every item I was looking for was sold.

This is not a big deal, but 4 weeks later I called about the same item because it was still listed on there site......and guess what,.... that was 2 weeks ago and its still listed on there site!!!

Its not that big of a deal, I always email first to see if its there, but they emailed and said it was there, so I called and guess what....its not there!!

Things that make you go "mmmmmmm"
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ouch! Sorry dude! That same thing happened to me, actually, when I went to get my Modulus. A dude walked out with the exact bass we went in to we walked in the door. :(

I played that fretless Fodera a couple times....absolutely killer bass, the best fretless i've ever played...but was it really $2800 better than my Roscoe? I didn't think so.

Of course, it was it $4500 at that point. That bass has come down $1500 since it's been there. Worth it at over twice what i payed for my fretless? I still don't think so.

Cool bass, but man, you'll find something out there, I guarantee you!
  10. Don't kill yourself over the loss. BassNW gets several used Foderas. I'll bet if you check the site daily or every other day you'll get a nice Fodera in a month or two.
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Same thing happened to me a few times. I learned now that if I see something I really like I have to jump on it & try to raise the funds after the fact.
  12. Also keep you on on Bass Central in Orlando, FL. Maybe call Evan at BNW or Beaver at BC and then can keep an eye out for you.
  13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Bum deal on the Fodera. I'm so sorry and I sure can relate. I've had that happen to me before.

I really, really like BassNW. They seem to be real fair on their prices and the guys there are super people. But I had found the Lakland that I wanted so I called and was told that the one that I wanted was sold. I was really disappointed. But used Laklands show up on the net quite often so I figured something would show up. As it turned out the photo of the Lakland that I wanted was still there so I called again 2 weeks later. Guess what it was still there so I nabbed it.

I asked why I was told that it was sold and they said that they didn't know why. Hmmm? I do make a point of dealing with Gabe or Chad only since I've dealt with them face-to-face and they were really great people offering First Class service.

I always figure that things workout the way they were meant to be. Kind of a kharma thing so maybe there is a Fodera waiting for you somewhere else. Good luck.
  14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I believe that too, Jerry. That's why I don't sweat it.
  15. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    sorry about the bass its a BEAUTY
  16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, Gabe and Larry are the coolest guys in there.

I personally think it's an awesome store, though I usually buy my gear used, and straight from the person (cheaper!). I still buy my strings there when they have them in stock (juststrings is VERY inconsistent, with dead strings being common and tapers being untapered).
  17. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    rawn randall from r2 musicul instruments,is another super cool guy to deal with.anybody looking for a ebs fafner head?
  18. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for all the notes of condolences. I appreciate it.

Nino - I would love to buy it now, pay it later, but that philosophy is what got me in credit card debt bad right out of college, so now I have to know that I can pay for something. Just a lesson learned for me.

Brad - I did not even think to call and make an lower offer on it. Guess I need to bone up on my negotiating skills. I will remember that next time.
  19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    silvermaneZ, you're absolutely right, credit cards are one of the quickest and most painless ways to dig a gigantic hole. Being realistic about what you can afford can be a bummer but it's for the best. OTOH if you can manage CC's responsibly there's nothing wrong with them and they can be a valuable asset. It's not free money.

I've never bought a bass that impacted on my other, sometimes more important financial responsibilities. I also came to the realization that, unless you have unlimited funds, you can't get everything you want;)

So, how do you (collectively speaking) make it easier? Simple...prioritize. Forego some of your "wants", pay yourself first and you may have something left over for a "dream" item.

BTW everything's negotiable...but the answer may be "no". Nothing ventured, nothing gained;)

Good luck.