Fodera Emperor 5 bolt-on or Fodera VW Monarch 4 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Emperor (bolt on) 5 string - duncan PU

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Monarch (set neck) 4 string - EMG PU

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. yum...carrots

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With all the Foderas that have been up for sale lately, got me wondering...if you had the option...would you buy:

1. Fodera Emperor (bolt-on) 5 string with duncan jazz pickups

2. Fodera Victor Wooten Monarch (set neck) 4 string with EMGs

and why?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd go for the Monarch for the following reasons:

1) I prefer the sound of the EMG/Pope setup. If I could even get an EMG/Hazlab setup, that would be great, but as is, the Monarch gets a lot closer to the tones I like (I love the sound Victor Wooten gets!).

2) I prefer the Monarch body shape to the Emperor shape. It just looks a little more compact and classy. Not to knock the emperor though...

3) I much prefer 4 strings to 5 string basses.

4) I can get hold of the Monarch and pretend I'm Victor Wooten and start knocking out some finger funk grooves with beautiful nuances of melody. Or I could just be a clichéd Victor clone and start double thumbing sloppily without any of his superior taste and melody! :(

3. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (10/14/09 - 12/16/19)
    I prefer the Monarch. To me and for my playing style, the Fodera 4-string Monarch is just the perfect bass guitar. The bodies of the two feel completely different -- the Monarch being smaller and more compact. For me, the Monarch feels like the perfect extension of my body. Although an Emperor feels good, it feels a bit larger and less like home. I also personally prefer 4-strings...

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think Monarch is a better body shape for 4's, the Emp. better for 5's. The 4 string Emp.s look a little big to me and the body on the 5-6 string Monarch's looks small. My .02.

5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    I prefer 5 strings and bolt-on-basses. :)

6. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I prefer the monarch.
    as I have a monarch with p/j emg pups, I can tell it's the easiest bass I've ever played.
    it's so easy to play these basses and the tone is to die for.
    It can do the wooten thang but not only, I can dial a lot of tones out of this bass it's scary!!
    and to me, a fodera has to be neck set or neck through.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm a Fender/G&L guy, so neither is on my radar screen, but I voted Emperor. I heard two players use these on stage a few years ago, one a five and one a six. I was blown away by the huge tone, especially the five, which I thought was the best sounding active bass I'd ever heard. I'm not sure which pickups it had though. I've played the Monarch, and let's just say it isn't even remotely my cup of tea. After I played it for a few minutes, I grabbed a Lakland Glaub with flats...ahhh, much better!

8. OMG CARROTS

9. I like Emperor 4's the most! Love the Monarchs but Emp 4's are pretty rare! All the Fodera are great :)

10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i went with the monarch.

11. ursus

ursus

Jul 16, 2003
    Limhamn, Sweden
    I love the off set jazz bass body shape, so for me a 5 string bolt on Emperor with DC Duncans was the obvious choice.

12. buyabass

buyabass

Sep 4, 2009
    I have been trying for years to get my hands on an original Monarch with the original EMG's and Hazlab pre. I finally found one through a friend of mine ( http://www.mikobass.com I bought a 1994 monarch elite 5-strng. :smug:
    There is just no sound to match the emg matched with the hazlab. There is a growly mid range that gives a sizzle just at the end of the notes played that the newer emg/pope setups just seem to miss. It is that distinct sound made famous by V.W. but there are so many variations. Especially when you start playing with the frequency dip switches on the hazlab to really notch in the sound your looking for. And yes, the body style is so much more confortable. Especially for smaller guys like me. I have noticed that since Victor started using the emg/mike pope and Duncun p/u's, its just not as appealing. Thats my 2 cents. Not to be taken seriously by anyone, including myself :)

13. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    I think i would go with the Emperor, I like big basses, Though don't have a problem with small ones, IMHO the Emperor is more deep and more of a low bass then the Monarch, But that's just me, Don't listen to me O:

14. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

funny this thread got revived...this have changed.

i went with the Monarch VW. it was amazing bass, but i felt that i needed the low B so i ended up working a 3-way deal to bring in a bolt-on emperor 5 string. had that bass for a while, but never really loved the B string and felt it was too much bread to have tied up in a bass that i wasn't head over heals for. recently sold the emperor and another bass and picked up a Pavel (which is INSANE) and a Hilton (which is on the way).

Foderas are great basses, but just like MTDs they have a specific type of voicing and the voicing wasn't right for me. I'd still love to have a VW Monarch and I really liked the pope mixed with the Aeros in the emperor, but not really my slice of pie. Great basses, don't get me wrong.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021