Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Emperor 5 vs. Rogue 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Mar 1, 2002.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I have the option of getting either a Fodera Emperor 5 or a Rogue 5 string. Any suggestions? I really like the tone of the 32" scale Rogue, but the Fodera just looks better. Help me make a decision..... ;)

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What woods is the Rogue made of?

3. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I think it's soft-spalted figured Sapwood. The bass is painted black, so I can't see the grain...

4. embellisher

Paint looks better than natural wood anyway. Have you played the Rogue through an EBS or a Walter Woods driving Bergantino cabinets?

5. It would probably be easier to make an informed choice if you also painted the Fodera black...

Grain is really over rated.

Jeff

6. embellisher

Now, Jeff, there is an idea[​IMG] I didn't think of! Paint the Fodera black! That might make the decision a little easier... Or, seeing as how it would improve the looks of the Fodera, it could make the decision harder.:confused:

7. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I've never heard of Walter Woods. Does he make cabinets? I use a Marshall bass stack, and 4 18" cabinets. I used to have an Eden head, but the tone was too "snappy" for my style of music.
    The Fodera has dual coil jazz pickups and a Horse Chestnut top....it's about 250 more than the Rogue, but I can't make up my mind, as the Rogue bass has a better B string.
    HELP!!:eek:

8. It SHOULD be a hard choice! Of course, painting it a lighter color could provide improved definition in the highs...

Jeff

9. oooohhhh.... 18" speakers.... drool.....

Do you know if it's roasted horse chestnut? Or aged?

10. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    What's wrong with a black bass? :confused: I had an old Smith bass that had a really stripey maple top that I didn't think looked good under the stage lights brought down to the local Earl Schieb shop, and had it done black sparkle. It really darkened the tone up quite a bit. It was my main bass before I got my Carlo Robelli. Now THAT guy knows how to paint 'em.

11. embellisher

I think that red basses have the warmest sound.

jacochops, I know what you are saying about the Fodera's B. Those things have very weak B strings. Of course, it is hard to find a B that matches up to the Rogue's.

12. I'd go with the Rogue. From what I have heard the Fodera sucks. The quality of the Rogue is much higher than Fodera, and Rogue uses better electronics. And the Rogue is less expensive.

I think another choice you should consider is a short scale four string Hondo. Or maybe a Squier Bronco. Although, the Squier might be of a lesser quality than both the Rogue or the Hondo.

If it were me, I think I'd go with the Rogue.

13. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Yeah, I know....I've played that Rogue with the B tuned down to low f#...now THAT'S a sound!!!;)
    Seriously, I just ordered my second new custom this month....the first is a single-cut Nordstrand with a horse chestnut top, fretless pink ivorywood board, Suhr preamp, Bart 9W4J's and an alder body.
    The second is an R Bass with the same specs except fretted with a Haz Lab preamp, and Bart Js.
    I was thinking about trading the two for a new OLP stingray, though.....;)

14. Am I drunk or is there something wrong with all the posts I just read?:confused:

15. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Check out the bass pics at nordstrandguitars.com. I seriously don't know how to post a link, but go check it out....you'll see my 4 string cherryburst in the players section. It's Fodera meets Read Basses!

16. The sad thing is that I am not sure if the 1st post is a joke.:(

Geoff

17. SERIOUSLY!!!

did I just see someone post "Fodera sucks!??!!?"

whoever said that should be dragged out and shot!

18. Ok, so shoot me. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I'm gonna get a custom made Rogue, fluorescent orange, with a plywood body. It's gonna be really pointy, too.

19. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    You guys are all missing the point: which one comes with a nicer case?:p

20. Better yet, the rogue 15 watt practice amps? Those things might be small, but they pack a whollop! I seriously think it may be the best of the the 15 watt practice amps.