Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Emperor bolt-on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hi everybody!
    May be it's time for my first fodera......
    I can spend something like 3500/3600 euro.
    According to Fodera's seller for Italy( a very nice guy),the only new 5 string I could buy with that amount of money is an emperor BO,no NT!:bawl:
    What I need to ask you is a comparison between BO-vs-NT Foderas.
    Does a NT sounds really better?Or is the BO less expensive only due to the simpler building process.
    Please let me know what you know,what you have tryed,etc.....
    Thanks a lot!!!!

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Maybe "different" would be more accurate than "better." I could insert all of the typical response's about neck thru vs. bolt on but you can find that info pretty much anywhere. You could also try a set neck emperor. Or try buying used. You could almost definitely find a used neck thru for that much. Just look around and you are bound to find something.

3. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank you!
    I know all the stories and theories aboout NT-vs-BO:but I think that they can work differently if applyed from bass to bass;so I wanted to know something specific about them applyed to foderas basses.
    To find a pre-owned Fodera here in italy is almost impossible,trust me!
    I knew something about a sort of "waiting list" for used basses at the Fodera's shop in NY:is it true?

4. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    A new Fodera Emperor 5 strings for 3500 Euros ?

In France they cost around 7000 Euros.

5. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Infact I'm talking a bout a Bolt-on Emperor;but,above all,consider that it's not the price of a shop.it is the price that the italian "fodera guy" is able to do.

6. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I wonder why they cost so much here. I know there is the added VAT but it seems excessive.

french bass shop

Anyway for this price I'd buy them overseas. For the price difference you can buy a plane ticket, go to the USA and bring the bass back home with you!

What I'd suggest is buying second hand from a US buyer, and have it shipped here by Fedex. Tell the seller to lower the value of the customs invoice so that you don't pay too much tax.

Ari

7. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Because thii is a shop,where you pay for the Frech dealer+the shop itself.
    When I talk about the "italian fodera guy",I refere to this guy who sells directly:from fodera to the bassplayer,just jumping any intermediate dealer;and he has no shops, no show-rooms,no pubblic relations:this is why he's able to get so lower prices than shops;if I would buy a fodera in a shop in Italy,I would spend so much as in France.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I played The Bitter End in NYC a couple of year ago, and one of the bassists there had a Fodera BO. I loved it. I liked it better than the set necks and NT's.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Call me Frankenstein because I usually prefer bolt-on necks. :rolleyes: :D

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I prefer BO to NT - I have a BO Emperor, and its sweet! Definitely worth the cash...

11. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    Just an exemple from the french shop named : california music, they have a new Fodera Monarch 5 strings, price : 7500 Euros.
    In USA, a Fodera Monarch 5 strings might cost around 4000 $.
    So the price in France and in Europe is totally crazy.

A new Fodera Emperor BO 5 strings for 3500 Euros is an awesome price.

12. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank you guys for your reply!
    I'll meet this Fodera's guy,and play some Foderas he has to show:so I hope I'll realize by myself about the diferences between Nt and BO Foderas.

The point is:I know all the theories about BO-vs- NT basses;I think there's not a better system in general;some luthiers and bassists prefere one system,some prefere the other.
    But from a pratical point of view,my experience is that some basses sound better if they are NT;some others,sound better if BO.For example:all the Smith basses NT I have tryed were better than BO ones(the MW/MS series;not the cheap Burners);while I prefere BO Warwicks over NT.etc,etc.