Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera external preamp or change internals?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Apr 1, 2005.

1. I was considering changing out my preamp for one that has a mid in it. My bass [obviously] would have to be rewired and maybe even new pots because of the extra function.

However, there is another option. What about an external preamp, such as the one Fodera sells?

[​IMG]

Would that be a problem what with my bass already having a preamp in it? If not, would it give my bass better sound?

Thanks!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's definitely a possibility, there's nothing inherently wrong with using an outboard preamp as well as onboard preamp.
    But you do need to watch out, you can have not so great results if you (say) boost lows both onboard and offboard and they the freq center / Q for the bass boost are different on both.
    I use both onboard and offboard preamps, but I tend to adjust on the offboard to suit the room in general to get my flat sound. Then I'll make smaller onboard adjustments depending on the song.

3. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    Modifications Kill Resale Value Dead!
    If you can find an outboard sollution that works -
    I'd try that first. Heck, that's what onboard preamps have a bypass switch for.

4. The bass in question has already been highly modified. It is my 'Extreme Makeover - Bass Edition' bass that converted last year.

A side note, I went to my local music store and tried out an eq pedal. Where as it did make it sound better, I think I have something else going on with this bass. The B string has no presence. No, it isn't in need of being changed. It just doesn't have a strong sound to it. I saw a new 6 string Peavey Cirrus there, tried it through the same amp, and [by itself] it sounded a lot better than my bass did even running through the pedal.

I may be looking at all new electronics. New pickups and preamp. I did all the work on it to make it LOOK better, I guess I'd better do what I can to make it SOUND better too.

My options are to keep the 3 pots and use the Bartolini HR-3.4 [Volume/Volume, Mid, Bass/Treble], or I can drill another hole or two, change to smaller knobs [currently has the steel barrel knobs], and go with a maybe a Volume, Blend, Bass, Mid, Treble setup, or stack the Bass and Treble again.

As far as pickups go, because Peavey uses side screws on their pickups, I either have to go with new Peavey pickups [like I said, the Cirrus sounded good], or use Bartolini '5 string Music Man' style pickups, which would be two huge pickups on the body. Does anyone else [that has GOOD pickups] make one to fit the unusual size?

5. To refresh your memory:

[​IMG]

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    haven't seen *any* aftermarket pickups to fit those routes

7. The only thing that would work is the 5 string Music Man pickup. It's wide enough to just about take care of the bumps on the side of the route channel. However, it may look a bit odd with two rather large pickups. :meh: