Fodera fact checking...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Oct 2, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Recently visited a music store that had a couple of Foderas in stock. While checking them out, the guy pointed out that they could get me an instrument configured any way I wanted. I asked him if there was any advantage to going through him rather than dealing directly with Fodera. He said that if I went directly to Fodera, I'd pay "full retail" -- which I presumed would be in the neighborhod of the $7-8k tagged on the instruments there -- a figure that's roughly double what I've heard bandied about for Fodera prices.

Anyway, that got me wondering what's the "usual and customary" way to have a Fodera built? The Fodera website doesn't really say anything about this, at least that I've found. Better to go through a third party, or call them directly? I'm not going to be ready to make a move on a 'dream bass' until next spring at the soonest, but I want to have my homework done for when my bank account recovers from it's current hangover...

:) Any thoughts on this appreciated...
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You were given what is essentially correct information, they typically will not discount from their retail price on direct sales.

I know another place that can order the bass you want from them, and get it faster than anyone else...but I'm not allowed to SAY where...but if you scroll down a bit, you may get a clue! ;)
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to make a move without checking with you first, good sir! PM headed your way...

4. Good move those guys are great !!

Who are they ?

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I wouldn't say faster then anybody, because I know the fastest source :D

Anyway, Fodera does discount off list price however you can still get a better price at a dealer. Not sure how their direct sales are being done now that Beasley isn't there and has his own site.
  6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Brian is correct. Fodera will sell you a bass direct at a standard discount off of list. However, if there is a dealer in your area, they may refer you to him/her first.

Regarding David Beasley, he and I are taking custom Fodera orders these days directly through The Groove Shoppe.
  7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've heard people be happy with other dealers, but the guys at Bass Central have me as a customer for life. The store is very busy, but they will always make sure you are getting what you want. They will never just try to sell you what they have in stock, they'll let you know, but not pester you with their stock.

With airfare so cheap, you could literally get on a plane to Orlando, try out as much stuff you need, and be home for bed the same night. It might be a good investment if you are thinking of a high end bass. You'd be able to try just about all of the high end stuff there is in one afternoon. Then you'll really know if it's a Fodera you want. Or a Roscoe, F Bass, Elrick, Zon, Modulus, Alembic, Pedulla, Wal, Lakland, Spector, etc...

Hmm... I think I feel a Bass Day for Bassmanbob coming on. Thinking to myself, "OK Hunny, I've got to go to work real early today. Have a nice day." As I get into my car and drive the two hours to Bass Central.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You should give Gard a call over at Bass Central. He'll fix you up faster than anybody else. Right Gard? (Sounds like the name of a deodorant or something.)
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks to everyone for the info posted. :)
  10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Very often, prudent manufacturers and importers do much more business thru their retail dealers than direct. The direct price is kept high to discourage direct sales, though the websites and such are up to advertise the product.

Nothing p*sses off your distributors or dealers more than perceiving that you are in direct competition with them on the street, and they quickly lose interest in promoting your product. Thus, producers often protect their distributors pricewise to maintain good relationships.

An aggressive dealer moving a lot of volume is going to get the producers BEST price, and as a result, you may get better pricing there as well.