1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fodera - fretwear - RW Steel recommendation

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fretless62, Nov 25, 2017.

1. fretless62

fretless62

Apr 6, 2013
    California
    I use steel roundwounds on most of my fretted basses, nickel roundwounds on my fretlesses and on a Fodera Monarch. The Monarch had Nickel RWs on it when I got it and I just continued that way. I was reluctant to put steel RWs on it because I didn't want the possibility of fret and fingerboard wear on such an expensive bass, but I find the tone of the nickels on that one just doesn't have enough bite, snap and grit. Anyone have any fretwear stories on a Fodera, or a recommendation for steel RW for such?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Nope. None. I've been using SS rounds on my Emperor 5 and AJ Contrabass 6. DR Fat Beams on the 5, R Cocco and Foderas on my 6. But I keep my action low and my volume turned up and I think that contributes to my results. I even use SS rounds on my Aries fretless, same results.

3. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Fodera's steels are notably less coarse than most other steel strings. The wrap is smaller, too. Because of this, their sound isn't as grindy and edgey as some steels. But, they are a very good string, overall. Curiously warm tone for a steel. Maybe the perfect blend of tension, flexibility, feel, and balance----they will make your bass setup better and have great action.

If you want a bolder string which isn't SS, try DR Pure Blues. Pretty neat string, those.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  4. Loved the Fodera RW nickels but keep going back to Rotosound Billy Sheehan strings. Those strings have the right kind of sizzle that lasts and lasts.

5. The Nickel plated strings are also steel, but they're softer than chrome/stainless strings.
    Unfortunately that bite you're looking for probably comes from Chromium.

You could try Cobalt strings, they're only mildly harder than Nickel & quite a bit softer than Chromium.

Hardnesses of the elements (data page) - Wikipedia

6. If you are so worried you can try Tapewounds.
    Its a Stainless steel string with a nylon outer wrap, so you have your frets forever