Fodera Imperial 5 Fretless... Who Me???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Now that is nice! When are you receiving it?
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    You spent all that money on a Fodera and all they gave you was one pickup? They should have put ten or twelve on there for that price ;)

Congrats :) What's the scale length?
  3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    that bass is hot.

4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Look at all the knobs/swtiches... surly that constitutes the price :smug:

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    True. I hear they're carved from the collected baby teeth of James Jamerson himself. :p

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    DUDE! Whatcha hit Lotto or something lately! I can't keep up with you man!

BEAUTIFUL piece! Congrats & good luck!

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    The fodera singlecut shape always looked a little awkward to me but I bet it's a superb instrument. Lovein' the birdseye top...Oh an by the way is that a real butterfly in the headstock? :bag:

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That's interesting....that has been up on the site for awhile. How did you come across it?
  9. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    AMAZING bass...yum..lots of
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cause it was made specifically for me about a year ago... ;) only recently, did i run across the pictures on the site.

B-man jones!!!! wassup? daaaag, long time no see. fosexa indeed... :cool:

as for specs, walnut body about 3" thick, 100A birdseye maple top, chestnut heel block, kingwood board, maple lines, 35" scale, Aero bridge pickup.

FYI, Capt Scarlet owns an a killer Fodera fretless, and after playing his, i knew i had to have one myself. the first place i turned was the Groove Shoppe, where Dave was there every step of the way thru the whole process of building the bass. he literally showed me nearly half of the entire Groove Shoppe inventory, helping me get an idea of what to expect.

it wasnt until he brought his own super freakie cool Beez-Elite 5 that i had a better idea, cause his bass is simply astounding! besides, the amazingly deep, woody, fat sound, which my bass is modeled after, also loved the super figured walnut top. unfortunately, nothing really caught my eye, tho many of pieces were quite impressive. i nearly gave up, and started thinking maybe i should just get the ol' quilt maple top. but Dave in a fit of inspiration goes to the ol' Fodera wood vault and pulls out this incredible piece of 5A birdseye maple. i was like "Holy :eek:!!!"

tonally, its literally the fretless sound i've had in my head for a long time. oddly enough, i use my bass mostly in passive mode, cause the natural tone of the bass just rules. dave's own bass is totally passive, and while the Pope preamp is quite cool, the original tone of the bass is juuuust too nice.

bottom line, thx to Dave and Joel, i've officially been pimped. :smug:

hehe, nope, no lottery. just happen to be showing off many many many years of slow but painstakingly amassed gear...

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

WOW! That is sweet, jokerjunky. Congrats!:cool:[​IMG]
  12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Drools... I love it!

I think they truly look best with a lighter colored top and a darker board... Very nice my friend! :cool:
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    J, killer! Very (don't want Josh correcting me! :spit: )!!!

Why you gotta be all surly about it? Just jealous because you don't have one??? :D

...s'ok, I'm a bit surly about it too!!! :smug:
  14. I've never seen a five-string fretless till now. You've made my day. So far, at least.
  15. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    That is the NICEST piece of birdseye I have EVER seen :eek: and I don't even like birdseye... :bag:
  16. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    now THATS a real flipping bass

great axe man, rock that thing HAWT