Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera in the house

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This is the Fodera I've been getting all worked up about. I now figure it's been just waiting for me to bring it home.

This bass is just amazing and probably more bass than I should have. I probably won't ever see a gig but one never knows. What am I going to do with all those strings, anyway.

I am estimating that it was built around 6 or 7 year ago since it has the Haz Lab pre. From the poll that I ran, the consensus is that it has a bubinga top and the same wood on the head. The body wood is definately mahogany and the board is still unknown at this point. I'll wait until I hear from Fodera to get all the details.

I was thinking that it was a bit on the heavy side but I stopped at Bass Northwest yeaterday, after buying the bass, to get strings. Gabe raved about just how light the bass was. Man, that thing is a 36" scale. They didn't have strings that would be a good fit but it looked like a set of DR Hi-beams might do until I figure out what I want to put on it.

The neck is almost completely flat and the setup is almost rediculously low. But NO BUZZ from the frets. The width of the neck is really intimidating. But I've found that it is seriously easy to play. The string spacing at the nut and at the bridge is VERY wide. I find it very comfortable kinda like the Sadowsky and the MTD535.

I do find it odd that the neck pickup is so close to the end of the board. I won't go into the tone of the bass until I've spent some quality time with it but I will say that it sounds quite the opposite of what I would have imagined. It's very warm and thick. Even in passive mode it very loud through the Fafner. This bass through the Fafner and into a Bag End, 4 ohm, 2x10 is something to behold!

2. cool

We need more pics and some mp3's. One pic is never enough!

You are a lucky person.

:)

3. Very nice! Not as flashy as some Foderas I've seen (but I like flashy Foderas too :D ). BTW, the neck pickup is in the usual position. The 28 fret fingerboard is what makes it look odd.

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    From doing resurch on foderas I've learned one combination they love to build is mohgany body maple neck ebony fingerboard.Tight areticulate fast sound. (ie matt garrison)sweet high end. not for the clasic slap tone wich I think the extended finger board and no space for popping indicates thats what the original buyer had in mind.

Sweet bass! I'll be in that club in 2 weeks!

AJ

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Not sure when I can get MP3's but I'm working on the photos.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're hopeless, Jerry................in a great way! No more agonizing for a while I hope.

Eager to see good pics of the entire instrument! I've seen broad curl mahogany and tubular quilt, but not that figure before. Kew-el!

I can't imagine the tones through your rigs :eek:

7. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Here is a whole body shot.

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    And here's the back. It looks like there is a walnut tone plate in there.

I don't know what to think of the knot on the maple.:confused:

9. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    SWEET!!! Tone plate, Chestnut??

10. Beautiful!

Congrats! The ones I have played in the last couple of years have really been special instruments. I'm digging my Monarch more and more.

Yours looks like a real winner. Love the singlecut body.

Tell me more about the 36" scale. Does the neck feel significantly longer? Or is it well integrated into the bass? How's the reach? I've played some 35" scale basses that seemed really long and some that didn't feel any longer than my 34". How would you describe the Fodera? (I kinda have my eye on a 36"...)

Glad you finally got it.

Jeff

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Man, thats a real nice looking bass. I'm not a huge fan of fodera.... but i will admit, it's a good looking bass. It looks a little odd, but like someone said before, probably just the 28 fret fingerboard.

12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Im not sure but I think the walnut is a "line" and while having some affect on tone is mainly cosmetic its got that cool effect on the neck heel and it out lines the top with a thin dark line.

I believe what is known as the tone block is the part of the neck that is attached to the main neck to match the depth of the body ( the piece with the knot on it. wich my guess is ash).

Ofcorse I could be full of it

AJ

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    :D

14. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    congrats!!!

now that I have my Fodera Monarch 4 string, I feel like I'll never need another bass, 'cept maybe another Fodera as a backup ;)

15. That's really nice.

Please give us a good report on it's tonefulness when you get some playing time on it.

Enjoy,

JOnathan

16. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'll tell you it's really odd that mentally I'm thinking that this bass should be really tough for me to play. I'm 5'9" with arms that aren't short but mostly proportional to my body. I don't feel stretched at all. I'm kinda in a state of shock that the bass is incredibly easy to play. I feel a bit of a stretch over my 34" scale basses but nothing really obvious or excessive. Very playible. I also don't seem to have any issues in the lower registers. I just love the tone and forceful nature of the bass on the low notes. Very solid and full.

It doesn't feel awkward at all. But it is heavier than my 7 pound, F Bass. In fact I just weighed it. It's 11 pounds. I guess all that wood in the neck and upper horn adds a couple of pounds. It doesn't feel bad with a nice 4 inch Levy strap. I play much better standing and most of my practicing I do standing. I just spent over an hour playing with it strapped on. It wasn't bad at all and boy was it fun.

Andrew, you are right, the walnut is really for looks.And you are right about the "tone block". That is the ash part. And I was wrong. That's not a knot but a pitch pocket.

Now I'm just not sure what the body wood is. It's starting to look just like the top wood the more I look at it. Could it be Bubinga, also? :confused:

Also, here is a shot of the preamp. It's a 9 volt system. I found that the battery was barely attached and that the battery clamp was holding the battery up against the connectors but it wasn't snapped in. :eek:

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I think the back is just figured mahogany.

Sweet bass!

18. Yes, that looks like mahogany to me too.

Andrew, Was that bass for sale used at the Mercer St. Guitar Center last year? I think I played it extensively one day...

I too was surprised that the 36" scale seemed far easier than I thought it would and I have VERY short fingers. I just had to jump my hand a bit more and play between the frets.

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I dont know where it was for sale out there on the left coast;)

AJ

20. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    that knot would drive me crazy.... but I like it anyway