1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fodera/Ken Brensbee PU config.?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diezel420, Jan 14, 2002.

1. I've recently been looking at these instruments (for pure fun, not purchase) and I've noticed a weird pickup config. on their websites. It looks like two Jazz-style pickups in the standard neck and bridge positions, and then one big motherf***** of a pickup filling ALL the space in the middle. Is this indeed a pickup (the pictures don't make it clear enough), and if so, what do they call it? How does it sound.

Thanks again.......

2. I believe what you are talking about is a thumb rest. Many people anchor their thumbs on the pickup while plcuking and this is a way to extend that ability between the two pickups.

-Chris

3. Yeah, but this thing in the middle is black and kinda looks like a (big) MM pickup. Personally, if I were Vinny or Ken and wanted to put a big-ass thumbrest on a beautiful $7000 bass, I'd make the thumbrest out of the same kind of wood as the body top, not black.

Is it possible that it is indeed a pickup? A good example of what I'm talking about can be seen at www.fodera.com on the opening page. There's a picture of Mr. Fodera and his coworker Joey, and Joey is holding a gorgeus bass with said weird-looking-thing.

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That is indeed a thumb-rest, that maybe functions as a kind of ramp aswell. On the Ibanez Gary Willis bass, there is a similar thing, with a purpose to keep you from digging in too hard. I don't know if the Fodera's share that purpose, but it's very possible, IMO.

5. Well, it's kind of hard too see in that pictures. I am sure you could email them with any questions. You had mentioned Ken Bebensee doing something similar. Are you talking about this bass? http://www.kbguitars.com/sch/d.html That is for sure a thumbrest. I almost bought that bass from Dan here on the forum but was able to do so in a timely manner to to money constraints.

-Chris

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Right, those are thumb rests AND ramps. Acacia basses (and a few others that escape me) build what are just-thumb rests in - there's no need to use all that wood for just a thumbrest.

In the case of the Fodera, the decision about the thumbrest color (probably ebony) probably was made by the buyer, not Vinnie. :)

7. that's the beauty of the musicman pickup-
    it serves as a pickup, a thumbrest (in the sweetspot) and a ramp.