Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera/Ken Brensbee PU config.?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diezel420, Jan 14, 2002.

1. I've recently been looking at these instruments (for pure fun, not purchase) and I've noticed a weird pickup config. on their websites. It looks like two Jazz-style pickups in the standard neck and bridge positions, and then one big motherf***** of a pickup filling ALL the space in the middle. Is this indeed a pickup (the pictures don't make it clear enough), and if so, what do they call it? How does it sound.

Thanks again.......

2. I believe what you are talking about is a thumb rest. Many people anchor their thumbs on the pickup while plcuking and this is a way to extend that ability between the two pickups.

-Chris

3. Yeah, but this thing in the middle is black and kinda looks like a (big) MM pickup. Personally, if I were Vinny or Ken and wanted to put a big-ass thumbrest on a beautiful $7000 bass, I'd make the thumbrest out of the same kind of wood as the body top, not black.

Is it possible that it is indeed a pickup? A good example of what I'm talking about can be seen at www.fodera.com on the opening page. There's a picture of Mr. Fodera and his coworker Joey, and Joey is holding a gorgeus bass with said weird-looking-thing.

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That is indeed a thumb-rest, that maybe functions as a kind of ramp aswell. On the Ibanez Gary Willis bass, there is a similar thing, with a purpose to keep you from digging in too hard. I don't know if the Fodera's share that purpose, but it's very possible, IMO.

5. Well, it's kind of hard too see in that pictures. I am sure you could email them with any questions. You had mentioned Ken Bebensee doing something similar. Are you talking about this bass? http://www.kbguitars.com/sch/d.html That is for sure a thumbrest. I almost bought that bass from Dan here on the forum but was able to do so in a timely manner to to money constraints.

-Chris

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Right, those are thumb rests AND ramps. Acacia basses (and a few others that escape me) build what are just-thumb rests in - there's no need to use all that wood for just a thumbrest.

In the case of the Fodera, the decision about the thumbrest color (probably ebony) probably was made by the buyer, not Vinnie. :)

7. that's the beauty of the musicman pickup-
    it serves as a pickup, a thumbrest (in the sweetspot) and a ramp.