Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Matt Garrison 5 - WOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Jan 10, 2006.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Umm....."It" came today.
    It's now called "Bentley".
    I took a huge chance with buying it site un-played.
    It exceeded my expectations.
    Glenn Kawamoto at Austin Bass Traders in awesome to deal with and highly reccomended.

I'm happy with Bentley. Like I haven't been in a long time with a bass.

I just posted a link on page 7 of this thread to a recording of this bass.

Here's a pix off of the ABT site: (I'll have a pic of me with it because it doesn't exsist unless there is a photo for proof!!)
    [​IMG]

2. Thats a sweet bass, wheres the ramp?

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I don't really go for coffee table basses much, anymore but those Foderas still do it to me every time.

Congrats. I bet it sounds great.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I play a 34" Zon tuned E-C and the shorter scale of the MG5 keeps looking better and better and better...

VERY nice bass, bro.

5. Thanks for letting me play it today Mike! It was cookin' out of a Schroeder1210 and Focus.

I've played lot's of Fodera's, and that is REALLY a good one. Extremely lightweight.... almost as light as a Sadowsky NYC... it felt like about 9 pounds or a little less.. which is a featherweight for a Fodera. Very similar in weight to the Tommy Kennedy model, which is swamp ash.

Playability is great, and the Seymours with the maple board and what looks like a light ash body with a maple tone block gives it plenty of punch and a moderate amount of sizzle if you want it.

This is the first Garrison I've played. It's not the 'textbook' Garrison with the short scale, E-C tuning and 27 frets (or at least more than 24)... but rather the Garrison body style in the more standard Fodera configuration (B-G, 35" scale, and 24 frets).

Due to this body style, the neck pickup is closer to the bridge than other styles, but IMO still plenty of room to slap.

All in all, it's a fabulous bass. Whoohoo Mike!

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm almost positive that this Garrison bass is a 35" scale. What makes the Garrison bass what it is is actually the shape.

7. That top is SICK! Nice score, man.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    26 frets on Matt's bass.

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Killing man! Nice work!

10. I knew it was something like that! Thanks.

11. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Sweeeeeeeet!!! Great looking bass Mike!

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For what it's worth, I got to play Matt's older 35" scale bass a couple of times. It was incredible!!!!! I'd love to try his new 33" scale bass.

Great score Mikebass!!!! :bassist:

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    That is a very nice bass...congrats!

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    What's wrong with me? It's a modern-style singlecut shape and I actually like it!

15. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Yeah, I'm still rather speechless.

I could go into all sorts of esoteric details of tones and such, but no matter what I dial in on this thing it just seems to work.
    Meaty ass burpy rear pick-up bark to front pick-up throughty thickness and if you want Marcus just set it to the middle and throw it into single coil mode.

Buckeye top w/ matching headstock, ash bodywings, 3 piece maple neck 35" scale 24 fret, maple center block but a walnut or mahogny layer between the neck and center block, birdseye fingerboard, custom shop dual coil Duncans, Pope 3 band pre-amp (stacked vol/passive tone control, bass/mid/treb, on/off switch, single coil/humbucking switch, active/passive switch).

It's killin'

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mike, you should check to see if you have the newest version of the Pope pre or not. It'd be worth getting if you don't. It sounds like Mike has made some incredible changes.

17. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

NICE bass! But since we have not seen a pic of Mike with the bass - does that mean Mike does not exist?

Dan K.

18. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

This piece was actually used. It's a few years old so it's the "old" Pope pre-amp.

19. Last description I heard of that new circuit, it sounded like more of a tweek than anything earthshakingly new... but I haven't been following it lately. What's supposed to be the difference. Last time I took a look at his site, it said it was supposed to be a little more neutral when flat, and use less battery life.

20. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Joey will send you the chip to install to update the preamp.