1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fodera Matt Garrison: EMG P/J or Duncan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cheopsnet, May 22, 2014.

1. cheopsnet

cheopsnet

Oct 15, 2009
    Hey guys,

Finalizing the specs of my Fodera on-order (similar to Gwizdala specs wood-wise) and unsure about the pickups: Have you guys had a chance to try a Garrison model w/ EMG P/J pickups? I liked the pickups on the Wooten signature model (pickups on steroids, for lack of a better word). Any insight into how this would translate on a Garrison model?

Basically hesitating between the EMG and the Duncan..

Thanks!
    L

2. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    EMG's sound really good but will harm the speakers.

3. cheopsnet

cheopsnet

Oct 15, 2009
    EMG harming the speakers? Why?

4. mgrier1

mgrier1

Dec 28, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    My MG Sig had the Duncans and I have not heard a bass sound better than that one... I am biased towards the Duncans yet have heard the EMG's sound good, but this would be a no-brainer for me - Duncans FTW!

Best,

Mike

5. cheopsnet

cheopsnet

Oct 15, 2009
    Thanks mgrier1!

Since you have a MG, quick follow up question: Do you have the 17.5mm spacing or another one? Hesitate between 16.5mm and 17.5mm.. I feel that 16.5mm makes slapping quite challenging (not big on slapping technique, but do use it sometimes), but it sounds great for finger style. I have only tried Fodera's 19mm and 17.5mm spacings

Cheers!

6. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'd have to toss my hat in on the EMGs, more consistency and clarity, but that may translate to less character to someone else's ears. I also prefer the EMGs paired up with an EMG preamp as well. Tried several types of pickups and they win hands down.

7. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    EMG's sound good on the original Bona signature with similar body style.

Maybe also consider Aguilars. Seems a number of the sponsor players are switching to Aguilars in their Foderas.

8. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    I don't know the science behind it. I've had three basses equipped with active EMG's(Stu Spector, Peavey TL6, modded Ibanez), and they all ruptured the speaker cone. The speakers still worked, but you could hear this swishy fluttering thing happening. I was using the "low gain" input, even.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    This is not remotely true.

Interestingly enough I don't think I've ever seen a Fodera five string with the EMG PJ set. It seems every five (or six) string Fodera that uses EMGs utilizes the soapbar shapes like the Richard Bona signature.

Anyway the EMGs will have a percussive clarity that you really can't get anywhere else. Super clean (which some might call sterile) highs, very responsive and growly lows and ideal for slapping, popping and other rhythmic techniques. Tbe EMGs have a very modern, compressed sound.

The Duncans are much darker, thicker sounding pickups that can sound modern or vintage depending on setup and playing technique. They can also be split to single coils for more of a jazz bass sound.

For me it'd be about playing style. If you slap and/or tap or want a very clear, compressed and modern tone, go with EMGs. If you want a smoother, richer and more versatile sound that excels with fingerstyle I'd go with the Duncans.

The Aguilar DCBs are now an option on Foderas. They are kind of in between the EMGs & Duncans. Very clear and bright but not as modern sounding or percussive as the EMGs. They are hard wired in series so they can't be split into single coils like the Duncans.

Good luck.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
    SirMjac28 likes this.
  10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Never had an issue with EMGs - something else was wrong with the instrument or signal chain.

I had an MGS with dual coils, and currently have a Monarch with dual coils. I also have EMG PJs in fretted and fretless Foderas. I *vastly* prefer the EMG PJ over the dual coils. That said, my EMGs are 4-strings - not sure if the EMG PJ 5-string pups have the same personal magic. Ymmv - lots of guys prefer the dual coils but if you like the EMG PJ sound, then I think best to stick with that. Combined with the Pope preamp it is a great setup.

11. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'm over 20 years in with EMG and have never experienced or heard of a problem like that.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What a bizarre thing to say.

SirMjac28 and Hank Scorpio like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So you blow your cabs then blame it on the pickups? I've used EMG's since 1984. Never once used the low-gain inputs on any amp I've ever used. Number of blown speakers I've had: 0. Sorry...you blew your cabs, not your pickups.

SirMjac28 and Hank Scorpio like this.
  14. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I took a look at Fodera's newborn gallery and sure enough there are no 5 or 6 strings with the normal PJ set. There were a few that had EMGs and they were listed as PJs but it was a soap bar set. I'm not sure how different the EMG P pickup is from standard Ps other than the blade magnets and lower number of windings, but I do believe it has the short, squat coils typical of Pbasses. If so, you can't fit those coils in the EMG soap bar shape so the sound would have to be a bit different. That doesn't mean better or worse, just different.

Here's a five string Monarch with EMGs.

[​IMG]

I vaguely remembered that there was something odd about the 5 string EMG PJ set and a quick visit to the EMG site confirmed that. The five string P is setup so that the more neck ward coil (E&A coil on a 4 string) only covers the two lowest strings and the more bridge ward coil covers the three others. That means on a 5 string bass the A string would be sensed by the second coil which is not typical. I'm not sure if that's why Fodera doesn't use the 5 string PJ set on 5 string basses (though that doesn't explain not using the PJ set on six string basses) or if they have other reasons for going with the soap bar shape.

15. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    ice%2Bcream.

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I think I would have switched pups after that first or second time it happened but you can't blame a guy for making sure.:)

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    As someone with a 4-string and 5-string made by the same company, both having EMG PJ's on them and both sounding the same, I consider that coil thing a distinction without a difference.

18. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I've never used the five string EMG pickups so obviously I'll defer to people who have. It just struck me as odd since it seems the industry convention with five string P bass pickups is to have the front coil sense the B, E & A strings. Interesting to hear that it doesn't change the sound of the notes on the A string at all.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, Jared, that's my take on them anyway. Not sure why most of the industry does the B-E-A coil and EMG does the B-E coil, but I don't argue. Consistency has always been a big thing for Rob Turner, and it's one of his top goals.

20. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    EMG should come out with their own active speakers.