Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Model 2000 v. East Retro Stomp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Experiment #1 this week is new PU's for the Smith (Sadowsky), and I think a second toy may follow. David M. already opined (thanks David), so what do the rest of you ugly mugs think? I'm on the verge of a purchase! "Both" is an acceptable answer :)

If the mods think this is an effects question, please move by all means.

2. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Don't be a pu**y...send me your Smith, and I'll rip them dang Sadowskkkiiii pikkups out, and put in some MIM Fenders...I don't need no outboard nuthin', cuz I plug into my 59 Bassman... ;) :D

Yo Will,
    In all seriousness, the Smith pre is SO powerful, I'd wonder about pairing that to an East pre, which has a high output to begin with...it might be a ridiculously hot signal. You might want to try pairing it with either the Fodera, or even a Yamaha NE-1...it's a really useful outboard pre. The Fodera's hot, but not as hot (IMO) as the East. The Yamaha is quite the surprise...

If you PM me, I'll send you my Bene pre in an outboard box to noodle with.

PS....it was 78 today..how was it in WV? :D :bag:

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    LOL, I'm playing a bunch of latin realbook tunes on it right now and it sounds silly good. The Sadowsky's might now last more than an hour, the Nordy pickups are great. Now if I just had some of your Jaco chops...

Hmm, might have a pretty good point there Matty. I haven't tried either, just looking for some new sounds. I was actually planning on bypassing the Smith pre and trying the East, but the general consensus is that the Fodera has a more usable tone overall...and it's got that butterfly on it, which makes resale delicious if I hate it. I don't know anything about the NE-1, got a link? I've got a DB-924 box, and you're right...the Smith pre doesn't play well with others in that case. It's too powerful for the extreme EQ the 924 (OBP-1) adds. Any more input much appreciated.

With the East, you're partially paying for the crummy exchange rate which I find kind of aggrivating.

45 and cloudy. Remind me to poke a nice big hole in your rag top when I see you. :scowl: Actually, it hit the 50's by 3:00pm or so. I was working so it didn't make no nevermind to me. I went kayaking on Saturday and it was 33. :eek:

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Will, I've got a Yamaha NE-1 kickin around here somewhere. It's got a short somewhere. Let me just check it out and fix it and I can send it to you. You can have it. There was a time when I wouldn't play without it. My tastes have changed (surprise). Email me your address and I'll send it out within the next week.