Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Monarch - Fodera Emporor - What's the Diff??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    What are the essential differences (aside from the name) of the two basses? On their site, I see that the Monarch has some jazz style pups... and maybe the emporor comes in both bolt on and neckthrough models?

Clearly I see that the Imperial is like the "big daddy" and is Single cut, but I think I've seen single cut "others" with the Fodera name on them aside from the Imperial.

I just don't get it.... Can anyone help??

2. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    The Monarch and Emperor are different body styles. Don't pay attention to anything else, all of that can change (pickups configs, woods, neck-thru & bolt-on etc).

The Emperor is more a Fender Jazz style body. The Monarch a bit more modern.

The Imperial isn't the only single-cut out there. There's also the Emperor II, Matthew Garrison and Anthony Jackson Presentation.

Emperor:
    [​IMG]

Monarch:
    [​IMG]

3. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Emporor II?? Where's one of those??

4. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I also forgot the Beez Elite as another Fodera single cut.

Here's the Emperor II:

[​IMG]

Beez:
    [​IMG]

Matthew Garrison:
    [​IMG]

AJ Presentation:
    [​IMG]

5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Ok, I went to the Bass NW site and saw a lot of examples. What makes an Imperial different from an Imperial Elite different from an Imperial Elite II?

6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The Emperor has an off-set body style while the Monarch does not. Hence the Emperor may feel more familiar if you grew up playing J basses.

See the "Sold Gallery" on my site for a comprehensive collection of each of the Fodera body styles.

7. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    There is no Imperial Elite II, only an Emperor II Elite. You may be thinking of the Emperor and Emperor II. The Emperor is a dual-cut body. The Emperor II is a single-cut body.

IIRC, there are bolt-ons, Deluxe models are set-neck (I might be wrong on this), Elite's are neck-thru.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For those of you who have played them, how much larger is an Emperor than a Monarch? That Emperor looks to be pretty big, but then again, in some photos, the Monarch looks to be unusually thin. What model is closer to the size of, say a "standard" J bass?

Tom.

9. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    The Emperor II isn't actually all that large. It's just that the upper horn is filled in.

I think the Emperor would be closest to a Jazz bass. It has the offset bottom Jazz influence.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm just talking about the two double cut basses, Emperor (not II) and Monarch. In shots by itself, the Emperor looks like it has the J proportions, but when you see someone holding one, it looks pretty big. Is this an optical illusion?

Tom.

11. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    The Emperor's didn't really seem that big to me. I recally the Monarch seeming smaller, though.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yeah the Monarch seems smaller than you might think based on photos. None of the basses are absolutely huge or anything. They fit me just right at least.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
  14. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Elite refers to neck thru construction on the double-cut bodies (Monarch and Emperor). The single-cuts bodies are all Elites (They are neck-thrus).

For example, you could order a Monarch bolt-on, Deluxe (set-neck), or Elite (neck-thru).

I hope that is helpful.

Joel

15. Here's the simplest way to think about all of this (edited based on TBers feedback):

First....

Elite=neckthrough, Deluxe=glued/set neck

Models....

Emperor.... J Bass Style... comes in Elite, Deluxe and Bolt-On

Monarch.... symmetrical style... the original Fodera shape... virtually all of them are Deluxe... very rarely will you see an Elite... the Bolt On Monarchs are Fodera's 'entry line' with two band EQ

Emperor II.... Emperor single cut... Elite only

Imperial.... very close to a Monarch single cut.... Elite only

Signature models:

Tommy Kennedy... Emperor II with neck pickup moved toward bridge.... typically 5 string (The original model is swamp ash and is incredibly light but still sounds like a Fodera... very cool)

Matt Garrison.... Imperial, typically with shorter scale (e.g., 33"), extended fretboard and more extreme cutaway... typically 5 string... short scale is good for the 'Garrison' E to C stringing... I assume most are longer scale with typical B to G stringing

Lincoln Goines... Imperial with Ash neck and body... usually Koa top.... typically 5 string

Anthony Jackson Presentation.... Modified Imperial, chambered body... single pickup no electronics.... Typically 6 string and 36" scale

Anthony Jackson Contra... unique body design, typically 6 string and 36" scale with active electronics.

Tim Bogart... a 'thinner' Monarch Elite with EMG's.... typically 6 string

Victor Wooten... a Monarch Deluxe with EMG P/J pickups (also comes with the Ying Yang inlays).... 4 string (Ying Yang typically 4 string)

Beez Elite... extra thick modified Imperial (extra cutaway, etc.), I think with chambers in body.... typically 5 or 6 string

As pointed out... all of these Signature models can be modified any way you want.

The most popular options on Fodera's (I think) are: a solid top on the Elites (i.e., the exotic wood covers the neck through completely), and the extended B Peghead, which moves the B string tuner back... it does seem to enhance the B string... my theory is that's due more to the additional size of the head piece vs. they extra length of string after the nut... it does seem to have an impact though.

Finally, IMO the pickup choice really makes a difference... with the Seymour Dual Coils being more aggressive and having a more pronounced high end... especially in single coil mode... and the Aero's being more 60's vintage and mellow. I MUCH prefer the Seymours myself, but that gets into personal taste. If you slap at all... the Seymours are the way to go! The 'inner vs. outer coil' three way tap switch is cool also.

Joel.... you can correct anything above that's not quite right.

As you can see from the photo of me that Tom posted earlier in the thread, the Emperor basses (including the Emperor II) are quite large and usually heavy... but they sound good.

Finally, IMO the Fodera website was always very confusing regarding all of this.... they really need to lay this out better.

16. Not strictly true IME, there is a 5 string Presentation for sale on the Fodera site as we speak. I've also seen a Presentation 5 at the GS with two pickups and the preamp installed. Somewhere in my memory I recall seeing a 4 string Presentation too but that might just be in my dreams :) The body is different to the Imperial to my eye, without the cut back on the top section of the body and with a different lower horn.

17. You are probably correct... since they will build pretty much anything you want. There's also the older AJ Contra model, which is an additional different body shape. However, I would guess the vast majority are 6 string.

18. Very true they will build pretty much as requested, mine certainly is a sixer. :)

19. You are comparing a Emperor 5 to a Monarch 4. The Emperor looks big but I have a Emperor 4 and Monarch 4 and they are much the same size. The Emperor body is more j-style.

Kjung - Tim Bogart - I think plays a Monarch 6.

20. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002

Anthony Jackson: I've seen 5-string presentations and there's even a 5-string presentation out there. Also, there's more than just the Presentation. The regular AJ has the full electronics and whatnot. Only the Presentation model has no electronics (and even then, you can get it with).

The Garrison is an Imperial with the lower horn turned in. Matthew goes with a 33" scale, IIRC, but the scale is up to the buyer.

Wooten also has a 5-string Yin-Yang, typically with purple heart & some type of yellowish wood (forgot the name) though you can get it with the ebony/holly top as well.

Lincoln has an Imperial body, not Emperor II.

Here's a couple of pics of the 4 and 5 string Presentation models...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]